Cleaning question

lmhicks101

What you're using is probably ok, but ever since I kept pet rats and used towels for their bedding I switched to hypo allergenic, non scented detergent. That was years ago now I use Meyers which is milder than detergents like Gain as far as perfumes go. You could always keep a separate detergent if you thought it would effect them. If you're just using it on your arms/floors/outside the tanks you likely won't have an issue unless you have a lot of detergent residue. 

and I agree with @lefty o, skip the softner. You'd do best to do that for yourself and your clothes anyway. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:57 PM, lmhicks101 said:

Thank you @lefty o & @xXInkedPhoenixX  I don’t use softener on anything. I was wondering because I’ve been using old rags and towels and just now got some microfiber  ones only for the tank and thought about it. 

microfiber is its own fun. for that use any of the "free" non allergenic soaps, and absolutely no fabric softener, and warm water or cold, not hot, and low  heat dryer setting. microfiber will melt at 140 degrees.  im a car detailing nerd, so i have micro fiber towel treatments down to a science.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hahah @lefty o nice, me too I love detailing my cars- but I was also a fabric science student....as YOU know but others do not, microfiber is made of petroleum product aka polyester more often than not, high heat would melt it and scratch surfaces if used. Natural fibers like cotton (my prefered car detail fabric) would burn rather than melt and is often more absorbent and get softer over time(though not being absorbent in car detailing can be handy so I do use microfiber too). It's also prone to static, which drives me nuts. I use wool dryer balls to help with that. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, lmhicks101 said:

Much appreciated and I bet your tanks are nice and pretty too lol

car is cleaner than the tanks.

On 11/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hahah @lefty o nice, me too I love detailing my cars- but I was also a fabric science student....as YOU know but others do not, microfiber is made of petroleum product aka polyester more often than not. So it does indeed melt. Natural fibers like cotton (my prefered car detail fabric) would burn rather than melt and is often more absorbent (though not being absorbent in car detailing can be handy so I do use microfiber too). It's also prone to static, which drives me nuts. I use wool dryer balls to help with that. 

yup, it is pretty much plastic fibers. some of it is very prone to static, but on the other hand some is so soft and plush you'd think cotton was sandpaper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@lefty o that's true, I have a couple of towels from Adam's brand detailer that are synthetic and super plush. There is good stuff and there is bad stuff. 

the rag company is my go to for good ones. most of their stuff is really nice. the cheap ones you get at ally world or elsewhere dont touch my paint, but have their uses where they might get grungy and i dont feel bad tossing those.

• Like 1

the rag company's platinum pluffle is the only one i use on the paint. im not really drying with it though as my car is ceramic coated, so i leaf blow most of the water off then use the platinum pluffle with a ceramic detail spray for final dry.  i use their dry me a river as my glass towel. i have quite a few others, but those 2 are my most used.

• Thanks 2