Anyone like to hunt?

FishPlanet

I brought a friend down to hunt 2 or 3 years ago and he got this one with the .45

97AFE40D-F769-42C2-88C7-4E561562CF3E.jpegWe do things differently here deer are the food for the gators although the prefer pork or even long pork depending on what kinda trouble you get in.

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 3

On 11/22/2021 at 1:15 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I have never had it. But then again, I don't get jerky. Where is all the delicious fat?

no fat on venison to begin with.

On 11/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, Brandon p said:

I brought a friend down to hunt 2 or 3 years ago and he got this one with the .45

97AFE40D-F769-42C2-88C7-4E561562CF3E.jpegWe do things differently here deer are the food for the gators although the prefer pork or even long pork depending on what kinda trouble you get in.

mmm gator jerky!😎

On 11/22/2021 at 12:03 PM, lefty o said:

no fat on venison to begin with.

mmm gator jerky!😎

Correct! That is why you make them into sausages, with fat from other animals. Same with moose.

Grilled gator tail, oh, now that is yummy!

Edited by eatyourpeas

I like just about any cut of deer meat and gator tail is pretty good too, but @Brandon p, the deer in South Florida are really small, about the size of a German Shepard with long legs. 

I used to live off of Clapp Simms Duda Road in SE Orange County back in the mid '80's and every morning when I'd go out to get The Orlando Sentinel, I'd see a small herd of bucks that was led by a 10 pointer with two 8 pointers, two 6 pointers, and one 4 point buck all grazing together. Of course, it was summer and they still had velvet on their antlers, but it was still pretty cool to see them.

The size of that 10 pointer would rival anything I'd ever seen in the mountains of VA, WV, or KY where they're able to eat corn and get big, so I contacted UF and they investigated. I believe they found that the water that they'd been drinking in the area contains a lot of iron and I'm sure that the water also contains a lot of Calcium carbonate. 

All living creatures need both of these elements and I'm sure the Calcium carbonate comes from the Floridan Aquifer, but where does the iron come from?

Maybe an iron meteor slammed into the area creating either Lake Mary Jane or Lake Hart, but what do I know?

I do know that Lake Mary Jane is the headwaters of the Kissimmee River and at one time was the NE quadrant of the Everglades which included Boggy Creek, Shingle Creek, and Reedy Creek before the Everglades was drained.  Lake Mary Jane flows into Lake Hart and Lake Hart is the closest lake they could've gone to, though they could've gone just about anywhere.

Nice Gator.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 2:15 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I have never had it. But then again, I don't get jerky. Where is all the delicious fat?

On 11/22/2021 at 4:11 PM, Gator said:

I like just about any cut of deer meat and gator tail is pretty good too, but @Brandon p, the deer in South Florida are really small, about the size of a German Shepard with long legs. 

I used to live off of Clapp Simms Duda Road in SE Orange County back in the mid '80's and every morning when I'd go out to get The Orlando Sentinel, I'd see a small herd of bucks that was led by a 10 pointer with two 8 pointers, two 6 pointers, and one 4 point buck all grazing together. Of course, it was summer and they still had velvet on their antlers, but it was still pretty cool to see them.

The size of that 10 pointer would rival anything I'd ever seen in the mountains of VA, WV, or KY where they're able to eat corn and get big, so I contacted UF and they investigated. I believe they found that the water that they'd been drinking in the area contains a lot of iron and I'm sure that the water also contains a lot of Calcium carbonate. 

All living creatures need both of these elements and I'm sure the Calcium carbonate comes from the Floridan Aquifer, but where does the iron come from?

Maybe an iron meteor slammed into the area creating either Lake Mary Jane or Lake Hart, but what do I know?

I do know that Lake Mary Jane is the headwaters of the Kissimmee River and at one time was the NE quadrant of the Everglades which included Boggy Creek, Shingle Creek, and Reedy Creek before the Everglades was drained.  Lake Mary Jane flows into Lake Hart and Lake Hart is the closest lake they could've gone to, though they could've gone just about anywhere.

Nice Gator.

I have pics that had my Chesapeake Bay retriever near a doe and he was just about the same size. I have hunted Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maryland for deer and Minnesota was the best and Wisconsin with a close second. The gator are so bad in the Everglades if you are fishing an fall out of the boat you are gator food. Never put your hand in the water. I paid to go out there with my 10year old son and wife. The first thing he asked was can you shoot a gun and handed me a 38 and said if they get so the head is even with the boat start shooting. I asked how often that happens and he said about 25% of the time. They are out of control in many places. They need to start taking them out of those places. Gator tale is ok I like it in gumbo, but for most it’s a novelty. Oh you can  get some large hogs here but they taste so bad. At one point the had a push to hunt them on public land. No one would eat them a few were killed but it was cheaper and faster to hire a helicopter shoot ups to 100 a day. We do make good seafood. 
I was always told it was the temperatures. That if the deer grew that big here it would die because most large animals get smaller because the large bodies are harder to cool. Same thing with cougars in  Northern California are larger than the ones in Florida if there are any left.

There is a ton of iron in the underground aquifers. If you are South and west of Orlando and on a well everything rusts. B7147E0F-BF59-4B41-8EC7-D84A26F9BCCC.jpeg.ddd805ab127a56ee14e0c9ca7bf7f466.jpegHere is a doe with a fawn at Sarasota Polo Fields. That mower in the distance is small 

• Like 1