Hello

I have bought a wonderful rabbit snail, but I caught it nibbling at my java ferns and after a quick google search they tend to have a appetite for ferns. I was wondering If anyone can tell me if they will try to eat other plants. I know Anubias isn't tempting enough but are there any others, personally I don't want to risk it as aquarium plants can be a bit pricey here in the UK. I have done research but this isn't exactly a broad topic.

(this is my first time on a forum so I hope I'm doing this correctly.) 

Kind regards.

1.jpg

0.jpg

Thanks for your reply Ben,

The only way I'll know it was after the algae is too put a few of my baby ferns down on the substrate and wait. At the moment I've raised the larger one onto rocks to keep them out the way. I might go with my little experiment. When I purchased the rabbit I can definitely say it was attached to the java fern and people have said online they can go to town on ferns. I do have two Nerites because I wouldn't have pegged Rabbit snails as heavy algae eaters but this is my first one. Anyway I standby 

Thanks again

FAFNF.

I also never noticed rabbit snails eating any plants (mine much prefer blanched carrots and zucchinis). They scrape algae from the leaves, but the leaves themselves are intact, even the tender ones, like cabomba and water wisteria. Sometimes the snails drag themselves over the leaves that are close to the substrate and do a bit of damage this way, but usually it's a very minor damage in my experience. 

Thanks for the reply Fonske

Maybe these snails get a bad rap or have different personalities. I will admit I'm a little paranoid when I saw it making a B line for my ferns. But if it is trying to clean off the algae/bio film the I'll drop them back to the substrate. As for feeding it veg I blanched either beetroot leaves or romaine lettuce (can't remember) but my guppies stripped it completely. I'll try carrots, cucumber and courgette (the Americans call it zucchini, we Brits don't have it) 

Thanks, FAFNF 

UPDATE 

Well I have some unfortunate news about the snail. No it's not dead but it does eat java fern. I tried my little experiment with a piece of fern that came away from the main plant and placed it on the bottom of the substrate. I also tried to tempt my cute snail with a boiled piece of carrot, it was interested but didn't eat any. The fern is in the back of the carrot photo absolutely fine.

aaa.jpg.c7068e46f22a8c8ec4f25b239a33b985.jpg

Day 2 I get up, do a few water tests, feed the fish, look down at my java fern aaaaaand it's half eaten. By the way I don't have anything in this tank that will stomach java fern as I just have two nerites, two cory's and handful of guppies. Now I'll have to guess if plants will be hardy or unappetizing for this snail. On a side not this thing slurps blood worms up like spaghetti so I might give it an Italian name. /

bb.jpg.3dbf45e3839b64be2e34ee927849d9ec.jpg 

I have rabbit snails and they like to eat through water sprite stems if they are planted and nibble on java fern. Other than that they have left my plants alone unless it is damaged. They will eat other plants im sure if they dont have a preffered food available. I rotate a slice of zucchini or cucumber every 24 hours taking the old one out. Did not have much luck with kale and spinach. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 3:21 AM, Fish are Friends not Food said:

UPDATE 

Well I have some unfortunate news about the snail. No it's not dead but it does eat java fern. I tried my little experiment with a piece of fern that came away from the main plant and placed it on the bottom of the substrate. I also tried to tempt my cute snail with a boiled piece of carrot, it was interested but didn't eat any. The fern is in the back of the carrot photo absolutely fine.

aaa.jpg.c7068e46f22a8c8ec4f25b239a33b985.jpg

Day 2 I get up, do a few water tests, feed the fish, look down at my java fern aaaaaand it's half eaten. By the way I don't have anything in this tank that will stomach java fern as I just have two nerites, two cory's and handful of guppies. Now I'll have to guess if plants will be hardy or unappetizing for this snail. On a side not this thing slurps blood worms up like spaghetti so I might give it an Italian name. /

bb.jpg.3dbf45e3839b64be2e34ee927849d9ec.jpg 

I would argue that your experiment isn't quite valid; it seems you placed a leaf that is dying in the tank, as opposed to a plant that is healthy and growing. Most snails will eat dead or dying material, which can actually be really helpful in a lot of tanks. But to see if it will hurt your plants, you'd have to risk one that's healthy and growing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy but thanks for all the responses to this topic.

In regards to plants that have been recorded to be eaten from this forum is Watersprite from GingerPride and Dwarf Sagg from MattyIce, so I'll keep that in mind. I do have swords and it's not bothered with them either and I could have watersprite if I float it. As for veg so far its nibbled carrot and cucumber and I'm trying courgette as I'm writing this. I know that I'm going to have to experiment with plants to see what works. I was looking to pick up some Valls as they're pretty bulletproof and I have a tall tank for their height. Crypts could be an option as an aquarium staff member from a garden center suggested it (and he had some knowledge on plants, shrimp and snails). 

As for the experiment not being conclusive, Yes I agree it's unfair test to put a java fern cutting in the middle of the tank. It was healthy and had a root system unfortunately the roots are placed under the black pebble so it didn't blow around the tank. I'm not silly enough to pluck leaves from the fern because I can tell you they will decay and the snail will do it job. Trust me the piece was fine and came away form the mother plant which is why I tried the experiment. I have this pic of the plant and I know its neglected but there's it's roots. I hope this has reassured you Kat_Rigal, as I didn't want to use the main plant because ferns take so long to grow and I like my plants just as much as my fish. But at least my snail is not a plant destroyer like the Black Devil Snail (apparently).

-FAFNF

.0.jpg.da9c4ac1f6da7268d384b443356d6104.jpg