Eheim filters good?

Helan

Quick background, my neighbour has a eheim

canister Filter that he is willing to see to me for a great price and I have only ever used fluval and sicce filters so are eheim filters good or comparable?. He is selling a eheim aqua compact

Edited by Helan
Spelling mistake

On 11/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, Helan said:

Quick background, my neighbour has a eheim

canister Filter that he is willing to see to me for a great price and I have only ever used fluval and sicce filters so are eheim filters good or comparable?. He is selling a eheim aqua compact

I have no idea about eheims but just googled the aqua compact.  That is a very interesting filter for sure, kinda cool that the pump sits in the tank.  

• Like 1

I have a couple of Eheim 2217 canisters. I think Eheim makes a good product. I have never seen an Eheim aqua compact.

I like the Eheim canisters because they are completely open on the inside so that I can put whatever media I want in there. I do not like canisters with a lot of different and oddly shaped compartments.

The Eheim aqua compact looks similar to the large Eheim canisters in that it has a single open compartment for the filter media. I would recommend 30 ppi (pores per inch) foam rather than Eheim's filter media. I have the 30 ppi foam in my canisters (as recommended by aquariumscience.org) and it works great. 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 11:53 PM, HH Morant said:

I have a couple of Eheim 2217 canisters. I think Eheim makes a good product. I have never seen an Eheim aqua compact.

I like the Eheim canisters because they are completely open on the inside so that I can put whatever media I want in there. I do not like canisters with a lot of different and oddly shaped compartments.

The Eheim aqua compact looks similar to the large Eheim canisters in that it has a single open compartment for the filter media. I would recommend 30 ppi (pores per inch) foam rather than Eheim's filter media. I have the 30 ppi foam in my canisters (as recommended by aquariumscience.org) and it works great. 

30 ppi is that a coarse sponge?

They are both premium options. 

There are some die hard eheim fans, and for good reason, some people have 15+ year old canisters still up and running.

The canisters on my 125 and 120 are Fluval. FX4 and FX5. They self prime and self purge. I personally never cared much for canisters until giving these a try. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 10:04 AM, s1_ said:

They are both premium options. 

There are some die hard eheim fans, and for good reason, some people have 15+ year old canisters still up and running.

The canisters on my 125 and 120 are Fluval. FX4 and FX5. They self prime and self purge. I personally never cared much for canisters until giving these a try. 

So it just preference?, I just find it odd that eheim doesn’t really get a lot of publicity, most youtubers are promoting fluval

Edited by Helan

Eheim is primarily a European brand. Fluval has a huge American presence. They’ve not discounted their products enough to be stocked at the big box chains leaving them to be had at LFSs and online. Usually the big box stores have some Eheim, often heaters or other accessories. Every year or so you can pick up an FX4 or 6 for half off you’ll never see that kind of deal on Eheim. 
I’m a diehard Eheim user, I’ve owned 6 different classic canisters. None have ever broke I typically passed them on to other hobbyists when I moved and 4 of them are still running and 2 are still in my possession. I’ve also almost exclusively used their heaters but have used a few Fluval heaters. 
I see no reason not to take the neighbors up in their offer as long as it’s a good deal. Filters are often on sale at the big box shops and online so if the deals not there move on. 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:42 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Eheim is primarily a European brand. Fluval has a huge American presence. They’ve not discounted their products enough to be stocked at the big box chains leaving them to be had at LFSs and online. Usually the big box stores have some Eheim, often heaters or other accessories. Every year or so you can pick up an FX4 or 6 for half off you’ll never see that kind of deal on Eheim. 
I’m a diehard Eheim user, I’ve owned 6 different classic canisters. None have ever broke I typically passed them on to other hobbyists when I moved and 4 of them are still running and 2 are still in my possession. I’ve also almost exclusively used their heaters but have used a few Fluval heaters. 
I see no reason not to take the neighbors up in their offer as long as it’s a good deal. Filters are often on sale at the big box shops and online so if the deals not there move on. 

His offer is 20 dollars for all the equipment,is that good?