co2 rod replacement

yannachka

so i received a regulator from another planted aquarium youtuber as a gift and the rod that connects the regulator to the solenoid is broken. i measured and its about 3/8” but i cannot find a hollow threaded rod anywhere. unfortunately their customer service isn’t really the best and i haven’t received any help or a response from them. 

ive reached out to every local welding and beer supply company within an hour drive and none carry it. ive searched online and wasted money on having ones shipped to me that dont fit. you would think this was a readily available part with how popular regulators are for aquariums and beer making but no luck. hoping someone here knows where i can buy a replacement, id really hate having to buy another regulator for one little part. 

here are photos, i need the hollow rod that would connect these two together. it actually broke inside so i had to have it stripped out and rethreaded. ive found many that fit but werent hollow and all the hollow ones are too large even when labeled as 3/8”.

36CEAD55-9C46-447C-B76E-4F8B5D618083.jpeg.c3083dc5f73afcd42ca9a8c3ec640c1e.jpeg

EF0235C3-9493-4C4D-9A31-B38C5A5E7CBC.jpeg.b94a90ba1f36bc7d59d460a2d494424c.jpeg

i appreciate any help, thanks!

13 minutes ago, Irene said:

Oh man, that stinks. I hate it when used equipment ends up needing repairs that may cost as much as the actual device. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer/seller Dustin's Fish Tanks to see if they can help you?

yes, they initially sent me contact info for their supposed manufacturer (a good month after i sent them the email) and the manufacturer said that it is not their regulator and they cant help. i emailed dustin’s fish tanks back and have yet to receive a response. this should be a sub $10 part honestly i have no clue why it can’t be found anywhere. 

56 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-x-Close-MIP-Brass-Hex-Nipple-Fitting-802229/300096143

You may need a longer one but this is what you are looking for, just verify the threads.  Get teflon tape and wrap the threads.

thanks! 1/4” is too large, it’s closer to 3/8” outer diameter. i know it is left hand threaded but not sure if it is bsp or npt. i said rod but pipe is a better term, i actually looked into a larger diameter pipe and using a bushing and a nipple on each side to connect them to the larger pipe but havent been able to find any that fit. unfortunately i haven’t been able to find any info on the regulator anywhere online and dustins fish tanks doesnt respond (its why im a coop customer, the customer service is amazing). ive emailed and called them leaving a voicemail, tempted to just drive down there and knock on their door lol. it really shouldn’t be this difficult to get replacement parts for a product they sold and branded.

i took the regulator to a few different stores and tried different combos but none worked. i bought a few 3/8” pipes from online brewery supply stores but they all came in with a 3/8” inner diameter and closer to a 1/2” outer diameter when i measured them. 

• Like 1

If you have a good local hardware store they may have one of these you can use to find the thread size. From there you can go to website like McMaster-Carr or Graingers to look a nipple in the right size. If its a Metric thread getting the right pitch is important. 

51FKgQDNCTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg51%2BY1Euu1ZL._AC_.jpgO41HpRraDNOL._AC_.jpg

8 minutes ago, MickS77 said:

If you have a good local hardware store they may have one of these you can use to find the thread size. From there you can go to website like McMaster-Carr or Graingers to look a nipple in the right size. If its a Metric thread getting the right pitch is important. 

51FKgQDNCTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg51%2BY1Euu1ZL._AC_.jpgO41HpRraDNOL._AC_.jpg

thank you for those site recommendations! that will help. there are only major chains around here and they have a basic measuring tool. i was able to screw a 3/8” rod into the regulator though but it wasnt hollow so it didnt work. ill check those sites out. 

21 minutes ago, yannachka said:

thanks! 1/4” is too large, it’s closer to 3/8” outer diameter. i know it is left hand threaded but not sure if it is bsp or npt. i said rod but pipe is a better term, i actually looked into a larger diameter pipe and using a bushing and a nipple on each side to connect them to the larger pipe but havent been able to find any that fit. unfortunately i haven’t been able to find any info on the regulator anywhere online and dustins fish tanks doesnt respond (its why im a coop customer, the customer service is amazing). ive emailed and called them leaving a voicemail, tempted to just drive down there and knock on their door lol. it really shouldn’t be this difficult to get replacement parts for a product they sold and branded.

i took the regulator to a few different stores and tried different combos but none worked. i bought a few 3/8” pipes from online brewery supply stores but they all came in with a 3/8” inner diameter and closer to a 1/2” outer diameter when i measured them. 

If 1/4" is to large there is no way 3/8" is going to fit since it is 1/8" larger than 1/4".  I've never seen LH pipe threads.

4 hours ago, KBOzzie59 said:

If 1/4" is to large there is no way 3/8" is going to fit since it is 1/8" larger than 1/4".  I've never seen LH pipe threads.

1/8” is smaller than 1/4”, you can also read it as .5/4” although that isnt a size but that’s what it would break down to. you’re right though i mistyped, i tried out 1/2” not 1/4”. the 3/8” rod fit perfectly though so i worry 1/4” will be too small. maybe if i add a thick layer of tape it will work. 

1 hour ago, yannachka said:

1/8” is smaller than 1/4”, you can also read it as .5/4” although that isnt a size but that’s what it would break down to. you’re right though i mistyped, i tried out 1/2” not 1/4”. the 3/8” rod fit perfectly though so i worry 1/4” will be too small. maybe if i add a thick layer of tape it will work. 

Yes 1/8" is smaller than 1/4" and 1/4" is smaller than 3/8" like I said. "3/8" is 1/8" larger than 1/4"

Edited by KBOzzie59

2 minutes ago, KBOzzie59 said:

Yes 1/8" is smaller than 1/4" and 1/4" is smaller than 3/8" like I said. "3/8" is 1/8" larger than 1/4"

yes i know lol, i corrected myself. i tried 1/2” not 1/4”. ill try the 1/4” with a thick layer of tape to see if i can get it to work. thanks for the help!