Dry food expiration

Jeff

Make sure that when you are done feeding your fish, that you close the packages of food good, if its a bag type package, squeeze out any air that's in there before closing. Another thing, don't use wet or damp fingers to pinch out some food, air and moisture are the detriment for fish foods. That said, what I do is, when I open a container of food, I take a Sharpie and write the date I open it on the package. I will throw it out when it hits a year, but honestly I don't think I've thrown much out in a while, except for a container of some pellets I won in a raffle at my local fish club and none of my fish seemed to eat. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 6:38 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

Make sure that when you are done feeding your fish, that you close the packages of food good, if its a bag type package, squeeze out any air that's in there before closing. Another thing, don't use wet or damp fingers to pinch out some food, air and moisture are the detriment for fish foods.

Yeah, I always pour food into a plastic bowl before I feed; as I dip my finger in the tank, and collect food with my wet finger.

These are all good to know tips. I've been smelling them all a lot lately, with no irregular smells. My fish are happy. Nothing abnormal looking with the food.