Raising Kh and softening water

Lauren A

Hi,

I have a 10 gallon planted tank (heavily) that I started about 2 months ago.  It is cycled by the “silent” plants method and doing very very well with new growth and algae that my 5 tiny horned nerite snails keep under control.  They were added about 3 weeks ago and at that point I had a moderate amount of algae they’ve been cleaning up well.  I have a ton of floaters (frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, red root floaters, spangles). I also have lots of Anubias, Java fern on mopani, Crypts, S. Repens, bacopa, cardinal lobelia  and Hygro Siamensis 53b, and I’m trying to carpet Monte Carlo and Anacharis floating. I’m not sure if these details are important.  

I have a HOB filter and bubbler/diffuser 

My current parameters are:

Ph 7.2, Kh is approx 20ppm (possibly less) Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10ppm, Gh (Hard) approx 150ppm, No ammonia

I’m using Easy Green 2 times a week and Easy Iron every other day.

I understand that Kh needs to be higher to prevent Ph instability and I had a little success with crushed coral in my filter.  This did harden my water and raise my Gh a lot though, which is normally very soft since I use Poland Spring as my source.  My towns water is toxic at this time.  

My question relates to me planning to add a new betta fish (I have not purchased yet) at some point hopefully soon.  I use Flourite substrate which does not soften the water.  I use Indian Almond Leaves in my betta tanks always and I know this will slowly soften my water but basically, what do I do to raise the Kh, without raising my Ph while also keeping my Gh lower to create nice soft acidic water for my betta?

I know this is wordy but just wanted to see what you think?  

Thank you so much!

Edit: I’m not sure if this relates but I have a substantial amount of black lava stone crushed in a mesh bag underneath the fluorite that I created an upward slope with.  I don’t know if this influences anything either  

Edited by Lauren A
Mistake sorry lots of mess ups

With a heavily planted tank, potassium carbonate would work well for you. However, a Betta would enjoy acidic water. 20ppm KH works well. I wouldn't sweat it. I keep all my tanks at 0KH. If you are keeping softwater fish, they enjoy these conditions. Me personally, I would look to lower GH to 4 or 5dGH. That's about 68 to 86ppm GH.

• Like 1

Hi,

@Mmiller2001This is such great news.  I’ve been stressing over it for weeks.  To lower the Gh, will the Indian almond leaf or even tea work?  I could add it now to prep for my betta.  I want the water to be perfect when I head out to buy one 😊.  Thank you very much for your reply!

Edited by Lauren A
Forgot to add recipient

On 10/14/2021 at 3:00 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

With a heavily planted tank, potassium carbonate would work well for you. However, a Betta would enjoy acidic water. 20ppm KH works well. I wouldn't sweat it. I keep all my tanks at 0KH. If you are keeping softwater fish, they enjoy these conditions. Me personally, I would look to lower GH to 4 or 5dGH. That's about 68 to 86ppm GH.

Also, how to do you personally get an accurate read on your Gh?  Is there a particular kit you use?  I bought a Kh and Gh test kit by API and it’s very vague.  It does not give exact numbers.  

On 10/14/2021 at 2:11 PM, Lauren A said:

Also, how to do you personally get an accurate read on your Gh?  Is there a particular kit you use?  I bought a Kh and Gh test kit by API and it’s very vague.  It does not give exact numbers.  

I actually have API's Kh/Gh test kit too. I always get an exact number. I'd say to pull out the instructions that came with it, and go over it meticulously, just to make sure you didn't miss a detail on how to do the test and read the results. 

Not declaring that you're doing it wrong. Just my initial guess. Not following directions precisely is common.

Edit: To be clear, I mean liquid test kit, not strips.

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 3:18 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I actually have API's Kh/Gh test kit too. I always get an exact number. I'd say to pull out the instructions that came with it, and go over it meticulously, just to make sure you didn't miss a detail on how to do the test and read the results. 

Not declaring that you're doing it wrong. Just my initial guess. Not following directions precisely is common.

I definitely must’ve missed something.  Thank you for letting me know this.  I always thought it was just showing the range but this is great news.  Thanks so much for your help!  

• Like 1

I just use an API kit as well, and they are good enough. I build my water with Mg and Ca and those test kits reflect the dGH I built to. The Almond leaves and such can reduce GH, but it takes such a long time that I can't consider them effective. They are great for adding tannins though. Shrimp love eating them as well.

If you really want to know the ratio of Ca to Mg, you would need to purchase those test kits. But honestly, unless you really want to get into numbers, I would forgo buying those kits. For me, I trust my Ca Mg dosing and don't test them. 

On 10/14/2021 at 5:04 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I just use an API kit as well, and they are good enough. I build my water with Mg and Ca and those test kits reflect the dGH I built to. The Almond leaves and such can reduce GH, but it takes such a long time that I can't consider them effective. They are great for adding tannins though. Shrimp love eating them as well.

If you really want to know the ratio of Ca to Mg, you would need to purchase those test kits. But honestly, unless you really want to get into numbers, I would forgo buying those kits. For me, I trust my Ca Mg dosing and don't test them. 

Okay, thank you.  Do you think that Easy Green contains enough Ca and Mg to build up?  Maybe dosing 3 times a week instead of 2?  Or do you recommend I use additional separate products?  

I do have API’s calcium and I believe I have Magnesium by Seachem but I have to double check.  I always get nervous when I add anything to my tanks.  That’s why I’ve been using the Easy Green and Iron and Root Tabs to keep it uncomplicated.  At one point though, before Easy Green, I think I bought every product Seachem sells from their Flourish line but found it to be a little intimidating and didn’t want to overdose anything.  

Thank you so much!

On 10/14/2021 at 3:13 PM, Lauren A said:

Okay, thank you.  Do you think that Easy Green contains enough Ca and Mg to build up?  Maybe dosing 3 times a week instead of 2?  Or do you recommend I use additional separate products?  

I do have API’s calcium and I believe I have Magnesium by Seachem but I have to double check.  I always get nervous when I add anything to my tanks.  That’s why I’ve been using the Easy Green and Iron and Root Tabs to keep it uncomplicated.  At one point though, before Easy Green, I think I bought every product Seachem sells from their Flourish line but found it to be a little intimidating and didn’t want to overdose anything.  

Thank you so much!

I don't believe Easy Green adds Ca or Mg and water changes should be enough to replace either.

We've all been there, before I discovered dry fertilizers, I darn near bought everything as well!

On 10/14/2021 at 5:23 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I don't believe Easy Green adds Ca or Mg and water changes should be enough to replace either.

We've all been there, before I discovered dry fertilizers, I darn near bought everything as well!

I seriously have so many products, you’d think I had 10 fish tanks!  😆 I really appreciate all of your help.

Now I’m intrigued, I had no idea there were dry fertilizers made for planted tanks out there.  You find this simpler?  Is there a product line you use?  I have to look this up now!   

Edit: I have heard of NilocG but never looked into it.  I just looked them up.   I’m wondering if I should try them out.  

Edited by Lauren A

On 10/14/2021 at 3:33 PM, Lauren A said:

I seriously have so many products, you’d think I had 10 fish tanks!  😆 I really appreciate all of your help.

Now I’m intrigued, I had no idea there were dry fertilizers made for planted tanks out there.  You find this simpler?  Is there a product line you use?  I have to look this up now!   

There's a few extra steps to calculate a few numbers, but once you have dialed in the ratios, it's super easy. 

I like GLA fertilizer.

Greenleafaquariums.com

• On 10/14/2021 at 5:23 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

On 10/14/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

There's a few extra steps to calculate a few numbers, but once you have dialed in the ratios, it's super easy. 

I like GLA fertilizer.

Greenleafaquariums.com

Thank you very much.  I’ve bought plants from them in the past and will check them out.  Your tanks are beautiful, btw.  I was just looking at your journal and wow, thank you for sharing.  They are absolutely stunning!

On 10/14/2021 at 3:48 PM, Lauren A said:
  •  

Thank you very much.  I’ve bought plants from them in the past and will check them out.  Your tanks are beautiful, btw.  I was just looking at your journal and wow, thank you for sharing.  They are absolutely stunning!

Thank you. All this stuff isn't that hard, just a bit intimidating until you've worked with the calculator a few times. Understanding and manipulating GH and KH is pretty much the important things. After those, just having enough of everything else is all you have to have.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:12 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Thank you. All this stuff isn't that hard, just a bit intimidating until you've worked with the calculator a few times. Understanding and manipulating GH and KH is pretty much the important things. After those, just having enough of everything else is all you have to have.

You’re welcome.  😊.  Thank you for all of your help and new ideas.  I hope you have a nice day!

• Like 1