Funniest fish myths

Helan

I don't know that I'd categorize it as funny, but one that frustrates me is "Serpae tetras are nippy, and should be avoided".  They're beautiful, hardy fish, and will rarely cause problems if they have enough of their own species in the tank to hold their attention.

Edited by JettsPapa

On 10/11/2021 at 8:06 PM, Ken Burke said:

I can think one one, and only one, absolute truth -

fish need water

🤓

sorry, couldn’t 

True and even that is not absolute in the way we expect. Fish need water most of the time. 

If we count some species you can get annual killifish from a bag of dirt sent through the mail and have to wait months before adding adding water back, lungfish don't have water for long periods and return when the rains do, the many fish,  snake heads, climbing perch, walking catfish, etc who can cross from one body of water over land to another body of water and be fine for nearly a week out of water. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2021 at 9:24 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

True and even that is not absolute in the way we expect. Fish need water most of the time. 

If we count some species you can get annual killifish from a bag of dirt sent through the mail and have to wait months before adding adding water back, lungfish don't have water for long periods and return when the rains do, the many fish,  snake heads, climbing perch, walking catfish, etc who can cross from one body of water over land to another body of water and be fine for nearly a week out of water. 

Here I thought all life needs water.  As far as we know…..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate that people think that the “big box store” fish are healthy and hardy, and in reality they die in even perfect water conditions. I can’t remember the last time I bought a guppy from one of them. I always go for locally bred, or my friends ever populating guppy tank.