Goldfish starting to loose scales / turn white

Adam M

My child brought a goldfish home from school in a 2 litter "terrarium" they made at the end of last school year, it was tiny now it's clost to 5 inches and has started getting white spots on it.  possibly loosing scales,  currently it's in a 20 gallon high (i know its too small but we are moving in jan and i have a 125 there he is going to move to) with 6 bloodfin tetras (still way to big for him to eat) and a small bn pleco a couple of nerite snails.  it's a medium planted tank currently 6 anubias, 1 java fern, 1 something the LFS called a red ruben, 6 sprouts of valsnaria (spelling), and a few stems of scarlett temple and a new maybe 4x4 piece of java moss.  total hardness 65 20-25 nitrates, 0 ammonia 0 nitrite, 73 deg.  kh 70ish, ph 7.4  using aqueon plant food 1 dose per week as instructed co2 at 1.1 bps   also i think he had the white  spots before i got the tetras they were placed in tank on the 11th of this month.  fish eats great ( anything that will fit) never stops swimming or pooping for that matter seems and acts fine  

White spots are a good signature of ich. It would be very helpful if you could post photos to this thread to further help identify the issue. Adding new fish to an aquarium might not directly cause ich, but could cause stress which can lead to ich. 

I can't be certain if it is ich without photos unfortunately. If you look on google and you can confidently say "yep, he has ich" then I would go ahead and quarantine him and treat him with Ich medication, like Ich-x

Can you show a photo? That will help a lot. 

goldfish can naturally change white or change color, it could be disease, and male goldfish do get breeding stars which do look a lot like ich, but the breeding stars are only on the hill plates and front fins, never the tail so if that’s where the white spots where definitely ich. 

scale loss can be from decorations in the tank or from scraping along the sides to scratch something off, goldfish are clumsy eaters so it can be disease or decoration damage, either way a photo helps get to the bottom! Happy goldfish keeping 🤓