Betta fish suddenly skittish

Sean

6C5D3D47-0800-49A5-815B-00892C9266D6.jpeg.ae9672c89f9d4930f1eb9c4ca634f96a.jpeg

Hello everyone! 

I have had a Betta fish here (Kona) which I got from Aquarium Coop and was always a very sociable fish and constantly swimming about and very interactive when we would wave at him etc. He's always been happy guy and we've now had him 9+ mo. He has had 4 neon tetra and 1 small siamese algae eater as tank mates and has always gotten along with them. They have always been in the same 5 gal tank in my basement office and have the lights on a timer and plenty of plants and driftwood to act as scenery and hiding/resting spots. I have on occasion moved them a bit to give the tank some "new appeal", as I know Bettas can get bored or "depressed". He's always taken these changes positively and always been up right there checking out the changes as I make them. He was like a puppy really. 

However in the last couple months he has been a lot more skittish and hiding almost all of the time. And now that I am typing this, he has come out for a bit but when I wave gently (even from a distance) or even move a little, he often quickly swims away and hides not to be seen for many minutes or hours at times. 

He also doesn't have any signs of sickness and does come out to eat in the mornings and swims around just fine. His fins and coloration all appear great and breathing looks fine. 

I have been monitoring all water conditions and these have not changed and everything checks out stable. I even bumped up to more water cycles of once per week just to see if that had any change and nope. 

I reduced the light by placing electrical tape over most of the LEDs for a few weeks but that also had no effect on his mood. 

I also tried putting a small mirror on the side of the tank and he flares his gills just fine and did his dance, but got bored or scared and went away into his slumber.

I just don't get it as we have other aquariums upstairs in the living area and a Betta in there which his mood seems fine and dandy. The only difference I can really tell is that this room has no natural light ever and we're not always in this room being an office, typically only for work. But the aquarium light is left on until 7pm.

Needing thoughts/expertise/tips to try?

Edited by Sean

Bettas can be moody fish. It is one of the things that gives them so much personality. Just keep observing for other signs of stress such as fin clamping, redness, fin tears, etc. It could be a lack of environmental stimuli as you have noted, but I would just give him a few more days.

It could just be a phase. Teenagers, am I right?

• Like 2

Male Bettas tend to mimic human males.  When young it's about staking and defending one's territory, being the first off the line at the green light, and flirting with everyone receptive.  When middle aged it's about minimizing the drama and savoring peace and quiet when it can be found.   Myself and my most beloved Betta are both in the latter phase of life- he used to come charging up to the front of the tank to check on me whenever I would pass by....now it's up to me to pull up a chair beside his tank and wait until he finishes up whatever deep thought or inner debate I'm interrupting and decide to amble over so I can check on him.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Haha 3

I work in a pop store selling aquariums and fish, and often I have problems with constipation in fish, usually it passed by itself, but this time he bothered them for a long time, and I decided to ask my colleagues, they recommended this site to me https://aquariumfishcity.com/freshwater/labyrinth/betta/cloudyeye/ recommend to look at it, there is a lot of useful information about fish

Edited by 1Fishmark1
  • Thanks 1

As long as your water parameters are still the same, and he shows no signs of distress/illness,  I agree that he's probably just having a "mood." I've kept several bettas over the years, and I have noticed that when you first get them, they perpetually have the "zoomies"; being incredibly active and feisty. As time goes on they chill out - my last one would sit inside a pile of anubias, completely hidden, napping. Just keep stress around his tank down and he might stop being skittish, but that might also just be his mature personality. 

• Thanks 1