Moving vallisneria

Atitagain

I get nervous moving Val. It tends to melt on me if I do anything it doesn't like. I've lost a whole tank full of it before. These days I pretty much just let it do what it wants to do. My thirty high had a full back curtain of jungle val that was probably six inches deep front to back and just looked gorgeous. I kept having to trim it back in length as it would cover the whole top of the tank. A LFS had a really nice Madagascar Lace plant for $7 that I couldn't resist. I added it to the tank and in a week all of the jungle val was gone. Everything tested fine, but the val didn't like the new plant for some reason and just melted away. I've got some new jungle val back in the 30 high and it's not exactly where I want it, but it's growing and doing well, so I'm not moving it or bothering it. It took it almost three months before it started to grow and I'm not taking any chances with it.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 8:02 AM, anewbie said:

You can do it either way - i've found the plants not sensitive. However if the runner does not have roots then i would leave it attached to the parent.

That’s what I figured just didn’t know for sure. Either way it’s gonna be a lot of work. 🥴 

thank you 

On 9/15/2021 at 9:07 AM, gardenman said:

I get nervous moving Val. It tends to melt on me if I do anything it doesn't like. I've lost a whole tank full of it before. These days I pretty much just let it do what it wants to do. My thirty high had a full back curtain of jungle val that was probably six inches deep front to back and just looked gorgeous. I kept having to trim it back in length as it would cover the whole top of the tank. A LFS had a really nice Madagascar Lace plant for $7 that I couldn't resist. I added it to the tank and in a week all of the jungle val was gone. Everything tested fine, but the val didn't like the new plant for some reason and just melted away. I've got some new jungle val back in the 30 high and it's not exactly where I want it, but it's growing and doing well, so I'm not moving it or bothering it. It took it almost three months before it started to grow and I'm not taking any chances with it.

It does make me nervous to move but the tank has to be takin down. I have vallisneria Americana and some jungle in other tanks and it can get 20-24” before I trim it, this Italian has only grown about an 1” on 8+ months, don’t know if it’s a slow growing or the light is just way to weak. It’s going under better lighting anyway so I guess I’ll see.

thank you

On 9/15/2021 at 8:02 AM, anewbie said:

You can do it either way - i've found the plants not sensitive. However if the runner does not have roots then i would leave it attached to the parent.

I couldn't have said it any better than this.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, Nooby said:

I always wanted to get vals, but from what I see here it seems like quite a tough plant is this so?

IME Vals and Sagittaria grow like weeds, but I guess it all depends on your tank and your source. I've gotten all of mine local and never had an issue, I think a lot of people who get them shipped to them have more of a mixed response to it being easy/hard.

On 9/15/2021 at 10:04 AM, Nooby said:

I always wanted to get vals, but from what I see here it seems like quite a tough plant is this so?

@TihshhoThe Val in this pic val. Italian was bought local has been very slow to gain height but has propagated very well.

my other Val Americana and jungle (in other tanks) were bought from ACO, took a while to get going but now grows height and runners very fast 1F5EB227-21A1-4514-8A92-7862662E1F1E.jpeg.1b670791d24fea5d515c90357e3b231b.jpegEE1E50D8-0DE9-4884-B87E-A58990480142.jpeg.06bd6d9720a4bca382f9e699767e3a05.jpegall In all a easy plant have patience at start and use root tabs. Before you know it you will have too much.

• Like 3

This is my italia val in a 29. I have jungle val in my 120 and not going to post a picture but the leaves can get over 8 feet before i get around to trimming them. The 29 is a rather simplistic low tech tank but the stuff just grows and grows and grows. I've been tossing new plants which is why it isn't any thicker after all i need room for other stuff. The oto love hanging in the stuff like monkeys all the way to the top which makes them hard to find:

t2.jpg.8dc54c3a96234994011875b6a79ba710.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 2:44 PM, anewbie said:

This is my italia val in a 29. I have jungle val in my 120 and not going to post a picture but the leaves can get over 8 feet before i get around to trimming them. The 29 is a rather simplistic low tech tank but the stuff just grows and grows and grows. I've been tossing new plants which is why it isn't any thicker after all i need room for other stuff. The oto love hanging in the stuff like monkeys all the way to the top which makes them hard to find:

t2.jpg.8dc54c3a96234994011875b6a79ba710.jpg

I like it! I’m moving a lot of mine to a 20G and going for this kinda look. It’s in a 55G now with a weak light.

And 8’ lol I know it can get long The above pic is a 60G it’s the longest Val I have so it’s probably 36-42”

Edited by Atitagain
  • Like 2