Green spot algae struggle. Phosphates. Questions lol

So I've struggled with green spot algae since starting up my 55 ( 8 months ago ) and now my 20 gallon fry tank ( 2 months ) is doing the same. Mainly my sword plants, but almost all my plants will start to get a good bit of green spot then it'll consume whole leaves. I've trimmed the leaves back, do weekly dosing of easy green and iron , water parameters are good. Can't figure it out

Read an article about if your phosphates are at 0 then that could be the issue.  Honestly don't know much about phosphates and their purpose in the tank so was wondering if someone could explain,  and recommend any good fixes for green spot, phosphates dosing. Any info is appreciated. Thanks 

What is the lighting on these tanks?

Phospates tend to contribute to algae, and while phosphorus is one of the needed macro nutrients plants need, I would look at how long your light is on or whether your tank is near a window with lots of natural light.

Edited by eatyourpeas
Forgot one paragraph.
  • Like 1

I don't know about phosphates, and not sure my "fix" is really a fix, but I have seen healthy happy green spot algae disappear completely when a lot of moss grew in my tanks.  Two tanks, different setups, different times.  Later, the GSA returned with vengeance when I removed the moss carpets (also, at different times). Nothing else changed, lights, filters, fish, water -  the only difference was presence of the moss. 

Maybe try moss carpeting, if nothing else works for your GBA :)

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2021 at 9:02 PM, Fonske said:

I don't know about phosphates, and not sure my "fix" is really a fix, but I have seen healthy happy green spot algae disappear completely when a lot of moss grew in my tanks.  Two tanks, different setups, different times.  Later, the GSA returned with vengeance when I removed the moss carpets (also, at different times). Nothing else changed, lights, filters, fish, water -  the only difference was presence of the moss. 

Maybe try moss carpeting, if nothing else works for your GBA 🙂

I think your setups were providing a big nutrient consumer, so that would work too. Excess nutrients paired with too much light can lead to algae.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 12:16 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I think your setups were providing a big nutrient consumer, so that would work too. Excess nutrients paired with too much light can lead to algae.

I think it has to be the right nutrient consumer too. Other plants, even nutrient hogs like elodea and frogbit, did not inhibit GBA in my tanks. It could, I guess, also be indirectly related to moss, e.g. lots of bacterial growth on the huge surface area of the moss, which consumed (or maybe even provided) some nutrients/minerals/etc. that changed the balance and made the GBA unhappy.  Without any data on exactly what changed, it's all, of course, just speculation.. All I know is that it worked in my water :)

• Like 1

As mentioned above, I would drop your photoperiod to 8 hours or drop overall intensity some. But I would go 8 hours. 

Wait 3 weeks, if no improvement, start increasing PO4. Seachem has a line of nutrients, but expensive. The most precise and cost effective fertilizer is dry KH2PO4.

1ppm increase per week is where I would start. You could buy a test kit, but that's an additional cost. 

I would also look at the overall picture of what you are dosing. Begin tracking your numbers and try to maintain ratios that work well within well maintained tanks. 

Here are some ratios I would try as these people really know how to grow impressive plants.

48033296298_7a1066b0cd_b.jpg.3f34ad60b616768a33da82f47f5ca933.jpg.f208e5507f1001de5ce26cc31bac7148.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 2:02 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

As mentioned above, I would drop your photoperiod to 8 hours or drop overall intensity some. But I would go 8 hours. 

Wait 3 weeks, if no improvement, start increasing PO4. Seachem has a line of nutrients, but expensive. The most precise and cost effective fertilizer is dry KH2PO4.

1ppm increase per week is where I would start. You could buy a test kit, but that's an additional cost. 

I would also look at the overall picture of what you are dosing. Begin tracking your numbers and try to maintain ratios that work well within well maintained tanks. 

Here are some ratios I would try as these people really know how to grow impressive plants.

48033296298_7a1066b0cd_b.jpg.3f34ad60b616768a33da82f47f5ca933.jpg.f208e5507f1001de5ce26cc31bac7148.jpg

That chart is gonna take me a minute to break it down lol. But super informative and thanks for the info. Time to start logging 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:02 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Here's some pics for reference also, already trimmed the bad ones.

20210913_160631.jpg

20210913_160623.jpg

20210913_160611.jpg

20210913_160539.jpg

20210913_160520.jpg

On 9/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

That looks more like Staghorn and BBA.

I'll look into staghorn fixes , I've never seen the big blackbeard blooms though like I've seen in pictures and videos. Like I said when a leaf gets bad it'll black it out almost and it's just a slimy dark green or black layer across the leaf