securing pond from animals?

Hello everyone!

After seeing everyone's ponds in another post I wanted to ask about the pond I have. I have a pond that is roughly 50 - 90 gallons with a waterfall above. The only reason we don't have any fish in it is because of racoons, bears, and large birds. My question is; how do people protect their ponds from animals? Also, In my opinion, the size of our pond is too small for koi. If there is a way to secure it, what fish do you recommend? Thanks!

IMG_4211.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

• Like 1

Yes your pond is much too small for koi. You could try smaller fish like guppies, wcmm, or paradise fish. 

To protect it, they make netting which can be layer over the pond. Ive also seen more permanent  wrought iron 'overlays'. There are also sprinkler systems which are motion activated to spray birds and small pests (not as effective on bears). Some people have ultrasonic systems they use to scrae away animals, I've heard mixed views about them and have not tried them myself.

• Like 1

I didn't even think of this until @Nataku mentioned it but these 'Yard Enforcers' have been 100% effective in keeping deer out of our garden for going on 4 years. The only time we had  any deer damage was when I forgetfully turned the water off, doh!

20200928_6189.JPG.e1a3543292d48bf96852beef51aa9f88.JPG

Scares the deer beans right out the deer!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Thanks! One time I was on a walk and one of my neighbors has one of those automatic sprinklers like above. It got me good! Thankfully it was a hot day.

There many setting involving daylight and sensitivity available on the Yard Enforcer. We tune ours not to go off in daylight hours so that they don't interfere with working in the garden.