Oranda wen still discolored

Hannah Q

Hello, you all may recognize me. For the past month+ I’ve been posting about my oranda who has had what seems to be an infection on his wen. I first tried aquarium salt, then melafix for a week, and I just finished trying maracyn for a week and have seen little to no improvement.  His water parameters are all perfect so I am confused as to what to do next. I woild appreciate any feedback!! 

F4CEA1EF-62D9-4156-91B2-07E19EB6C189.jpeg

B31E72BD-7683-4707-BAC0-217062508CFC.jpeg

Thanks @Colu

hannah, do you have a photo of when you first started treating it? Also how much salt per gallon did you use? 

Bacteria vs fungus on the wen can be tricky, but based on what you already tried makes me think not bacterial unless it’s a gram negative one which I am not sure if that can or can’t happen on the wen.

Other than appearance, is he acting normal? 

my best guess on the two photos here is:

has your orandas body been turning more what overtime? The wen in the photos (and maybe it’s my phone) looks almost like it is naturally white and not fungusy, is it possible your oranda is just having natural color change? 

A photo of what it looked like first would be very helpful, also goldfish who suffered bacterial damage on their skin have been known to change color as the damage heals, could be that maybe? 

On 9/12/2021 at 8:10 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

Thanks @Colu

hannah, do you have a photo of when you first started treating it? Also how much salt per gallon did you use? 

Bacteria vs fungus on the wen can be tricky, but based on what you already tried makes me think not bacterial unless it’s a gram negative one which I am not sure if that can or can’t happen on the wen.

Other than appearance, is he acting normal? 

my best guess on the two photos here is:

has your orandas body been turning more what overtime? The wen in the photos (and maybe it’s my phone) looks almost like it is naturally white and not fungusy, is it possible your oranda is just having natural color change? 

A photo of what it looked like first would be very helpful, also goldfish who suffered bacterial damage on their skin have been known to change color as the damage heals, could be that maybe? 

Hi! Thank you for the reply. He has been acting very normal. I also used 1 tablespoon of salt for every 5 gallons of tank water. And the discoloration does not look fungusy like you said. Here are some pictures from when ur began a little over a month ago! 

AC5B073A-F8F4-4438-AF28-F688250564E0.jpeg

3272DE1C-0423-457E-8C68-2B74E450224C.jpeg

• Like 1