Is this a plant? Algae? Can anyone identify it?

Zixx777

I have a number of light pink plant-like things growing on my fresh water aquarium plants and glass. They really look like salt water coral- they have long feathery projections from the main body that move with the current. It is quite strange, as they just showed up and I have not added anything to the tank. Any help anyone can provide to identify what they are will be greatly appreciated! 

thanks!

92D91928-8649-49DF-9E8A-7FBDAB7E7774.jpeg

797CDBDE-BEB3-4F8E-A129-9A3650C5BDAA.jpeg

C5F65579-538C-425F-A7B5-D893FF1B925F.jpeg

Edited by Zixx777

It is hydra but don’t fret….Stop feeding powdered foods and brine shrimp or yeast based shrimp foods for 2-3 weeks. They will cyst up.  Vacuum your substrate then to reduce numbers. They are a harmless natural part of an aquarium.  I have had these and the green ones for years. They are fascinating to watch eat. @Daniel posted an awesome video of them eating. They are in my shrimp and CPD tank as well and both species are very prolific.  Aq coop does a great video on them and how harmless they are. Hope this helps

edit.  welcome to the forum!

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, Guppysnail said:

It is hydra but don’t fret….Stop feeding powdered foods and brine shrimp or yeast based shrimp foods for 2-3 weeks. They will cyst up.  Vacuum your substrate then to reduce numbers. They are a harmless natural part of an aquarium.  I have had these and the green ones for years. They are fascinating to watch eat. @Daniel posted an awesome video of them eating. They are in my shrimp and CPD tank as well and both species are very prolific.  Aq coop does a great video on them and how harmless they are. Hope this helps

edit.  welcome to the forum!

Harmless to larger fish, to fry and baby shrimp not so much.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, Tihshho said:

Harmless to larger fish, to fry and baby shrimp not so much.

They occasionally get one or two of my shrimplettes but not enough to deter a population over abundance of shrimp I  never seen them get a CPD fry (doesn’t mean they didn’t) but again not enough to be worried or lose sleep over. 

• Like 2

Thanks! I have never had hydra before. I will stop the baby brine shrimp for a few weeks and see if that works. I have noted the CPD fry in the tank have recently been quite sparse - this may be my answer as to why. I may also get a couple of mollies and see if that helps as well.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 3:27 PM, Zixx777 said:

Thanks! I have never had hydra before. I will stop the baby brine shrimp for a few weeks and see if that works. I have noted the CPD fry in the tank have recently been quite sparse - this may be my answer as to why. I may also get a couple of mollies and see if that helps as well.

My guppies love eating them 🥰