Goldfish bullying

murphy lover 101

Have Five Blackmores and one unknown type of fancy goldfish. It's white and fat and short. I got them all the same size, but "Goldie" hasn't grown. she has gotten enough food but it's not happening.

Also her eye got pecked out and I think she was bullied by the black ones double her size.

What should i do with the bullies, and should I put Goldie down?

Also please note that I am very attached to all of them and love them like my dog.

Edited by murphy lover 101

If you have another tank you can put her in or get a tank divider fish can recover from a lossed eye over time it will heal up I would treat with maracyn to cover against any secondary bacterial infection  can you take picture of the sick fish as something else could be going on and what are your water parameters

Edited by Colu

No need to put Goldie down, genetics plays a role in sizes and just like dogs goldfish do have runts, if I may ask what does the bullying look like? Goldie is likely a female and may be getting beaten up by the males from natural breeding behavior, decorations in the tank can be dangerous during breeding behavior, the best bet is to either “child proof” your tank or remove Goldie, goldfish are social and prefer to be with others so if you were open to it you can get another new goldfish and put it with Goldie in a new display, and I hope this doesn’t violate forum rules but I take in any goldfish so instead of putting Goldie down if you were willing to ship (or meet up if your local) I’d take Goldie. 

TLDR: best to set up a new tank or evaluate your current tanks decorations. 

• 1 month later...

sorry for the late reply guys, I haven't moved her and she seems to be doing ok. Idk what the bulling looks like as I'm not there when it happens. But there is chasing, and I'm not sure if they are playing or fighting. Have an easy planter and a crinum (looking pretty sad with algae on new growth) Haven't moved her but I haven't seem anymore physical issues. I don't think I would want to give her away either unless something else happened and I am in fear for her life. I will save you though in case that should happen.