Black Neon Swimming Vertically? What I've done so far....

xXInkedPhoenixX

Ok community, help me out here, this is new to me.

August 23rd one of my 10 Black Neons in a 20 gallon community tank was swimming with the group vertically. I caught them and put them in a large floating breeder in the tank. I presumed (starting with the simplest issue first) since nobody else is/was effected or appears ill that it was probably swim bladders. I separated them in order to start a 3 day fast. I added some aquarium salt (only 2 tablespoons) to the tank and some API Stress Coat. 

No change the 24th.

25th the Neon was still swimming veritcally but it had a white fungus looking growth on one side. So I removed the neon and put them into a 2 gallon QT with 2 tablespoons Aquarium Salt and continue to fast them. 

26th I started putting in food but did not witness eating, same 27, 28th. 

30th at the recommendation of @Colu and my secondary potential plan I dumped the 2 gallons and did dose one of KANAPLEX. The fungus was gone at this point and a red mark where the fungus was. Because of how the fish moves constantly I cannot get a really good look at the damaged side, it is close to a fin. Little sucker was still very active, swimming vertically as if swimming normally horizontally. Bizarre. 

31st, put food in, still unk on the eating. 

1st of September Dose 2 of KANAPLEX was observed swimming a little better but not perfect. Food, but again no witness to eating.

Sept 2nd- got the little one to eat a thawed bloodwoorm- swimming vertically again.

Today I dosed the last of the 3 max recommended KANAPLEX. 

So now I'm stumped. Thoughts? Colu thought doing Epsom baths might help but just based on no changes so far I'm not even sure if those will help but willing to start those if it may help. I'm not even convinced at this point it is swim bladder based on the later possible side wound or fungus. The original tank still all fine, the rest of the Neons are great, there are snails and Otos. Weekly water test is perfect as usual, only thing that's on the high end is Nitrates which is a very consistent 40ppm, it goes neither up nor down even with water changes. all the other crucials are where I want them. 

The picture is dark sorry, I have a towel over the QT to keep stress low, though it's only in a 2 gallon I left the little one in a floating breeder so it can get to the surface easier, put a betta leaf in there in case it needed a resting spot, and the airstone is inside the breeder with it. 

Resized_20210903_200751.jpg

Usually when the fish stops eating he putting all his effort in to fighting the illness have you tryed adding some garlic guard to his food to encourage him to eat if you have seen improvement with kanaplex it's more than likely a bacterial infection  with severe infection you can do to rounds of kanaplex back to back 

Just in case in future this becomes useful for someone looking for info. I ended up doing 1 additional dose of Kanaplex while I figured out what to do next. Today I dumped the 2 gallon QT water and started with Furan2 which is hard to dose from the little packets so I had to take a good guess as one packet treats 10 gallons. I also put in about a half tablespoon aquarium salt. Fish ate a bloodworm today but still swims vertically. Bloodworms are the only thing I've witnessed the fish eating since I can target feed them. It's a tough little thing. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame

Just to continue on the process here. I've completed 1 round of Furan2, no change- fishy is still swimming vertically- has eaten thawed frozen bloodworms eagerly (1 or 2 a day for the last 6 days). Today since I was totally at a loss as to what to do next I just did the 25% water change you do with Furan2 and started a 2nd round. Put in about a tablepoon of Aquarium salt as well. Other than swimming constantly vertical there are no other outward signs of illness. Tagging you @Colu just so you can also see my update. 

I would keep him on his own with swim bladder injury the chance of recovery  is small as long as he eating i would just monitor him for now if he doesn't start to improve you might have to consider euthanizeing him further down the road @xXInkedPhoenixX there's not a lot more treatment wise I could recommend  

Edited by Colu

• 2 weeks later...

So just to update my situation here for future. Verti, as I've been calling this one seems permanently damaged but otherwise healthy. They eat eagerly every day from tweezers. So, since there's no chance they're going to get anyone sick I've aquired a breeder box with its own pump that circulates the water for Verti, thankfully very gently, and is able to view his former friends/home and I can monitor them more easily. Had to modify the standard glass top to accomodate the breeder and reverse the opening but it works quite well and will be their permanent home up and until they are no longer with me or miraculously better. 

Resized_20210922_112705.jpg

Resized_20210923_162729.jpg

Resized_20210922_113004.jpg

Resized_20210922_113511.jpg

• Like 2

Update: Today I've discovered little Verti swimming correctly and no longer struggling constantly swimming vertically. I was so excited/happy to see this. Since it's easiest for them I continue to feed bloodworms- up to 6 or 7 in a day since before it seemed they were expending an awful lot of energy swimming vertically. Today Verti eagerly ate. My hope is they make a full recovery and can either rejoin former mates- or if singled out, live in one of my other tanks. 

Resized_20210929_095514.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...