Breeding cories in a 5.5

BriannesFishFam

Bigger the tank the better. I always make a point to not attempt breeding in tanks less than 10 gallons, and if I can 20's. Smaller tanks fluctuate a lot with parameters, and when you're working on breeding you want to keep up with feeding heavy meals of good foods (not over feed, but just enough to keep weight on the fish.) With a heavy food intake you're going to get a lot of waste output. Vacuuming substrate or bare bottoms takes a lot more water than most think, so keeping up with the waste means you're going to be doing decent water changes. Small changes in a big tank are big changes in a small tank, if that logic makes sense.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:00 PM, Tihshho said:

Bigger the tank the better. I always make a point to not attempt breeding in tanks less than 10 gallons, and if I can 20's. Smaller tanks fluctuate a lot with parameters, and when you're working on breeding you want to keep up with feeding heavy meals of good foods (not over feed, but just enough to keep weight on the fish.) With a heavy food intake you're going to get a lot of waste output. Vacuuming substrate or bare bottoms takes a lot more water than most think, so keeping up with the waste means you're going to be doing decent water changes. Small changes in a big tank are big changes in a small tank, if that logic makes sense.

Ok, thank you. I didn't feel right putting them in a small tank, but the breeder said they'd be fine. Just wanted some insight from fellow nerms