Interesting color combos from mutt guppies

Phantom240

Long story short, I bought a mixed batch of fancy guppies to add some activity to the upper portion of the water column, and a couple of them gave birth, although none of the original batch survived past a few months. Should have quarantined and treated them first it seems, since the rest of my stock is bulletproof and water parameters are perfectly fine (and plenty hard enough for livebearers)... anywho, with the fry reaching maturity, I'm seeing some very bizarre combinations. Most of the males look like endlers, with much smaller bodies and the characteristic colors and patterns, but some of the females actually came out kinda cool. First time I've ever seen a tuxedo guppy with an orange tail! Kinda makes me want to set up another tank and play around with breeding to get more intense coloration. Don't mind the water level, it's a bit low since water changes this time of year are sketchy, as water comes out of my tap 84+ degrees. Not that it needs changing, since the plants demolish all traces of nitrates, and I EI dose as well as having crushed coral in my filter to keep KH healthy. Couldn't get a great pic, but wanted to share this oddball in my tank.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 8/26/2021 at 2:37 PM, Phantom240 said:

Long story short, I bought a mixed batch of fancy guppies to add some activity to the upper portion of the water column, and a couple of them gave birth, although none of the original batch survived past a few months. Should have quarantined and treated them first it seems, since the rest of my stock is bulletproof and water parameters are perfectly fine (and plenty hard enough for livebearers)... anywho, with the fry reaching maturity, I'm seeing some very bizarre combinations. Most of the males look like endlers, with much smaller bodies and the characteristic colors and patterns, but some of the females actually came out kinda cool. First time I've ever seen a tuxedo guppy with an orange tail! Kinda makes me want to set up another tank and play around with breeding to get more intense coloration. Don't mind the water level, it's a bit low since water changes this time of year are sketchy, as water comes out of my tap 84+ degrees. Not that it needs changing, since the plants demolish all traces of nitrates, and I EI dose as well as having crushed coral in my filter to keep KH healthy. Couldn't get a great pic, but wanted to share this oddball in my tank.

spacer.png

It's so nice when females have some color on them, too, and that orange looks nice with the other fish in your tank. I am planning a mutt guppy tank right now because I want the fun of seeing what comes up in the mix.