Hillstream loach tank set-up

dihyihchen

I am interested in adding 1-2 reticulated hillstream loaches to my 20g tank. I like the way they look and I need someone to help keep the algae under control. My 2 nerite snails aren’t doing it. I was told that the loaches need a high oxygen environment. My tank only has a hanging filter. Do I need to add a pump with air stone to provide enough oxygen or will my current set-up suffice? Thanks.

There are those on the lunatic fringe of aquarium keeping who make dedicated streambed tanks for hillstream loaches. They install a false bottom that's open on both ends and then insert the high volume gyre pumps under the false bottom to create a very swift current through the tank. Water goes in on the left side of the false bottom, travels across the bottom and then shoots out of the opening on the right hand side of the false bottom. Screening keeps the fish from being sucked under the false bottom and it's said to replicate an actual hillstream loach stream. They're pretty neat to look at, but probably more ambitious than what you're looking for. Adding an airstone would be much easier and likely suffice.

• Like 5

On 8/26/2021 at 6:30 AM, gardenman said:

There are those on the lunatic fringe of aquarium keeping who make dedicated streambed tanks for hillstream loaches. They install a false bottom that's open on both ends and then insert the high volume gyre pumps under the false bottom to create a very swift current through the tank. Water goes in on the left side of the false bottom, travels across the bottom and then shoots out of the opening on the right hand side of the false bottom. Screening keeps the fish from being sucked under the false bottom and it's said to replicate an actual hillstream loach stream. They're pretty neat to look at, but probably more ambitious than what you're looking for. Adding an airstone would be much easier and likely suffice.

I would be one of those people 😋

As for hillstream loaches which I am just going to lump them all in together despite being incredibly diverse, high oxygen low temp environments with a planted or hardscaped environment makes them feel secure. If you really want to entertain them you can add a small power head or fan to the tank, they enjoy currents. 

• Like 4

I'm a noob but I have 5 Hillstream loaches. I have a HoB and also a sponge filter. I keep the tank between 70-72 degree F. I have sand substrate with lots of rocks and plants. I have 3 fans, 1 small one that runs almost continuously. I just purchased a lot more rocks that I will be setting outside in the sun in water so they grow algae. I will then be doing a continuous rock swap with the ones in the tank so they have a nice supply of algae to graze on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...