Little help

moosepig

Monkey face flowerhorn is stressed and I need some advice

54g bow front corner tank   Seasoned HOB marineland with an Aquarium Co-op black sponge pre-filter (new) biowheeel is seasoned from 20g tank.  I made a K1 fluidized bed filter with a 1liter water bottle (running for about two weeks) and a sponge filter from Aquarium Co-op medium.

81F     Ammonia .25ppm   Nitrite 2 ppm     Nitrate 5 ppm   pH 8

I started on the 6th of August with Little Spooky, my flowerhorn, in my 20 gallon tank that has an UGF recently established. That tanks perimeters are Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 and Nitrate 20-40 78F

The 20g tank seems like a safer place for Little Spooky but I am having trouble deciding what to do.  She stresses out when I bring the net towards her. Should I move her back to the small tank or do water changes every two days in the 54g, should I use Prime if the amount of chlorine is not detectable in my tap water?  Should I use salt? I am worried about the Nitrite level and cant seem to figure out what to do about this situation I put myself in...

• Sad 1

Sounds like your tank is in the middle of cycling still. If your sure your 20 is cycled I would try to get the fish back in that tank till you get the 54 going in the right direction. I'm sure others will be along to give better advice but that is what I would do as of right now.

• Like 1

I would is do daily water changes to get your ammonia and nitirte levels down and add a double dose of prime to detoxify nitrites and ammonia prime only detoxifys ammonia and nitirte for  24hr  you could add some quick growing plants like Hornwort or vallisneria or some floating plants like water lettuce or Amazonian frogbit they will help speed up the nitrogen cycle 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, Guppy Guy said:

I like the water bottle filter idea, but when you made it, did you strip off all the label glue?

If not, it could be leaching toxins in the water and stressing out Lil Spooky.

You were right Guppy Guy! I did leave some residue on the bottle...yikes.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:03 AM, moosepig said:

You were right Guppy Guy! I did leave some residue on the bottle...yikes.

Glad you caught it early. Good luck 👍.

One more note on the water bottle. On the bottom, there will be a recycling triangle, and inside that is a number. If it is the number 1, you will have to replace the bottle after a year or so. The plastic will break down in the water. If it is #2(5 gallon buckets), or number #5(storage containers, ziplock food containers), that should be fine.

I made a PVC pipe filter(PVC is permanently safe, I have had it as decoration in one of my tanks for over 2 years now), but I am still testing it. 

Edited by Guppy Guy
  • Like 1