Vinegar eel harvest

Guppysnail

I started my culture on July 23. I used a long neck bottle as shown in Corys video. I got a starter culture but could not see anything moving with my magnifying glass.  I have very poor eyesight. I now see some movement in my bottle but I am unsure of how much. I want to do Corys method of extraction but is it to soon? I don’t want to harvest if I only have a few and leave none in to continue by accident. Thanks for your help. 

460A6B19-E89E-4226-92E7-467F2EF0A575.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail

On 8/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, T. Payne said:

If needed, because of a must to feed fry, you could do a small harvest.  I personally would wait if you could.

Thank you. No it is not a must I have other options bbs etc. it’s for my Pygmy cory kids. I don’t currently have fry in need. How long do you think I should wait? It would be so much easier if I could see them 🤣

Id bet you have a good amount I harvest by using the polyfill down in the neck just touching the vinegar mix and add the freshwater above the polyfill. You probably have a ton after a month.

I cant see them down in the bottle either but I make them out when they get to the clear water. The other option i sometimes have luck with is to twist the bottle around to get a little rotation and try to pick up movement counter to that rotation using a light behind the bottle and looking up into it.

I just use a mini syringe to suck up freshwater and eels then replace with fresh water when done when harvesting. I have also knocked the polyfill down into the bottle after a week to let the spares back into the culture no idea if it helps or not but they seem to last forever .... so far. You can always just knock the fill down into the bottle. I would suggest a mother culture which you feed apple, put in a vinegar mix and leave and 2 working cultures if you need to feed vinegar eels. I just work off one and have the back up then rotate them while reestablishing the used up ine from the mother culture 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2021 at 12:31 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Id bet you have a good amount I harvest by using the polyfill down in the neck just touching the vinegar mix and add the freshwater above the polyfill. You probably have a ton after a month.

I cant see them down in the bottle either but I make them out when they get to the clear water. The other option i sometimes have luck with is to twist the bottle around to get a little rotation and try to pick up movement counter to that rotation using a light behind the bottle and looking up into it.

I just use a mini syringe to suck up freshwater and eels then replace with fresh water when done when harvesting. I have also knocked the polyfill down into the bottle after a week to let the spares back into the culture no idea if it helps or not but they seem to last forever .... so far. You can always just knock the fill down into the bottle. I would suggest a mother culture which you feed apple, put in a vinegar mix and leave and 2 working cultures if you need to feed vinegar eels. I just work off one and have the back up then rotate them while reestablishing the used up ine from the mother culture 

These are excellent points. I never thought to keep a mother culture. I did use unfiltered vinegar with mother and apples. I really appreciate this. Those starter cultures are pricey for things I can’t even see!

On 8/22/2021 at 10:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

These are excellent points. I never thought to keep a mother culture. ....

I agree on pricey. The culture should theoretically last longer than our fish if we set them up right with the food and rotatate which we feed from. My set ups are apple cider vinegar, an organic apple washed rubbed and rinsed in the extra vinegar, then slices of that apple jammed down into the bottle. I do about 1/2 apple each running culture buy im sure you could so more or less.