Is it safe to buy this fish?

Nik_n

Two days ago I was at my LFS. I saw a grown bristle-nose pleco and I wanted to buy him straight away, together with a bigger female to try and breed them. I went to look around for a bigger female but couldn't find some the same size as him. Side question: will bigger plecos be more likely to breed then smaller ones?

Anyways, I saw the male eating a dead fish. I pointed it out the a worker who took the dead fish out. I didn't want to buy the male because I don't have the space to quarantine him, so I told the employee that I will wait a few days. The question is; Would it be ok to buy the fish, in a couple of days so a week has passed and introduce him to the community tank? 

All the other fish in the tank looked healthy and the store has automatic water change, so I thought that I would buy him after I made sure he survived for a week. Is this a rational decision? 

bristlenose only seem to breed when full grown. as for eating the dead fish, they will eat just about anything that will sit still for them, including dead fish.  as for buying that fish, and introducing it to your community tank without qt, that is a decision/risk only you can decide on.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:46 PM, JoshStover said:

I quarantine everything no matter what. Setup a plastic tote with a cycled sponge filter if you don’t have a dedicated quarantine tank

I would but I'm using a cycled filter and a container to grow out some fry currently and would not like to get more tubs or filter at the moment. 

On 8/19/2021 at 4:46 PM, lefty o said:

bristlenose only seem to breed when full grown. as for eating the dead fish, they will eat just about anything that will sit still for them, including dead fish.  as for buying that fish, and introducing it to your community tank without qt, that is a decision/risk only you can decide on.

Ok that's what I thought. That's why I looked for a big female as well. I don't know what to do about quarantine. I only buy from the one fish store...