Panacur C

Josh333

On 8/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, Josh333 said:

herd that it's both shrimp and fish safe

I used it years ago and it killed my bladder snails and mts snails I used  NT labs parasite treatment I haven't used panacur c maybe it a lower amount of the active ingredient in it I would still be careful if I had invertebrates in the tank maybe someone else can chip in who has used it with shrimp in the tank

I've used Panacure C in my shrimp only tank to get rid of Planaria. It works great for that the recommended dosage is 0.1mg of the powdered kind for 10 gallons. It will kill snails, but the shrimp were all fine. There this a lot of info out there on the internet, I found the article by FishLab to be the most concise and easy to follow. It has a formula to get you dosage correct for whatever tank size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm Ken's experience. I recently used Panacur-C to clear out hydra from my tank, but one correction to @Ken's post is that the dosage is 0.1g per 10 gallons, not 0.1mg. Panacur-C is usually sold in 1-gram packs, so the easiest way to do it is to dilute the entire pack in 100mg of water, and then pipette 5mg of the resulting slurry into the 5 gallon tank. Don't worry if it doesn't all dissolve and you get chunks of powder in the tank, as they will dissolve with time and won't hurt your shrimp or fish if they nibble on it. I left the meds in the tanks for about a week, did a partial water change, redosed the same amount, waited another week, and then put activated carbon into my filter to start pulling the meds out. If you have any carbon filtration in your tank, pull it out before you dose, or it will strip the meds straight from the water. Take out your snails during the treatment time; I can confirm it kills them (lost my nerite during treatment). I lost all of my shrimp (60+) to the hydra infestation before I cleared out the tank with Panacur-C, but have since reintroduced new shrimp and have had zero deaths. I would definitely recommend the treatment, but keep in mind that the effect isn't immediate and it will take a few days to clear everything out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, Ragnarok1200 said:

I can confirm Ken's experience. I recently used Panacur-C to clear out hydra from my tank, but one correction to @Ken's post is that the dosage is 0.1g per 10 gallons, not 0.1mg. Panacur-C is usually sold in 1-gram packs, so the easiest way to do it is to dilute the entire pack in 100mg of water, and then pipette 5mg of the resulting slurry into the 5 gallon tank. Don't worry if it doesn't all dissolve and you get chunks of powder in the tank, as they will dissolve with time and won't hurt your shrimp or fish if they nibble on it. I left the meds in the tanks for about a week, did a partial water change, redosed the same amount, waited another week, and then put activated carbon into my filter to start pulling the meds out. If you have any carbon filtration in your tank, pull it out before you dose, or it will strip the meds straight from the water. Take out your snails during the treatment time; I can confirm it kills them (lost my nerite during treatment). I lost all of my shrimp (60+) to the hydra infestation before I cleared out the tank with Panacur-C, but have since reintroduced new shrimp and have had zero deaths. I would definitely recommend the treatment, but keep in mind that the effect isn't immediate and it will take a few days to clear everything out.

Thanks for the info, I've had hydra in my main tank but I had introduced sparkling gouramis to it they took care of it but they killed the few shrimp I had in there and I don't want to move all my shrimp out and move the gourami's.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:57 PM, Ragnarok1200 said:

but one correction to @Ken's post is that the dosage is 0.1g per 10 gallons, not 0.1mg. Panacur-C is usually sold in 1-gram packs, so the easiest way to do it is to dilute the entire pack in 100mg of water, and then pipette 5mg of the resulting slurry into the 5 gallon tank. Don't worry if it doesn't all dissolve and you get chunks of powder in the tank, as they will dissolve with time and won't hurt your shrimp or fish if they nibble on it.

Right you are. Sorry for the misquote @Josh333

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 1:57 PM, Ragnarok1200 said:

So dilute it in 100 mg of water or 100ml ?

@Josh333 Yeah, my bad, I got my units mixed up. Dissolve the 1 gram packet of Panacur-C in 100 ml of water, and then dose 5 ml of the mixed solution into the aquarium. Volume is in milliliters, mass is in grams. My high school chemistry teacher would be shaking her head so hard at me right now...

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 12:05 PM, Ragnarok1200 said:

@Josh333 Yeah, my bad, I got my units mixed up. Dissolve the 1 gram packet of Panacur-C in 100 ml of water, and then dose 5 ml of the mixed solution into the aquarium. Volume is in milliliters, mass is in grams. My high school chemistry teacher would be shaking her head so hard at me right now...

Treat my 5 gal on the second day notice slot of die off I don't think I dosed it right and it was because I was wait for the response so I said screw it. Anyway I do have a lot of baby pond snail in that tank and haven't seen them die off 

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying Josh, but I'm so sorry if you experienced a die off from the treatment! I will say that while my nerite did day, the never-ending hoard of bladder snails didn't even take a hit. I'm not exactly sure what the dose is that would cause a die off of shrimp, but I would probably feel comfortable doubling the dose and seeing what happened. If my shrimp were literally nibbling on the medicine granules and it didn't mess with them, them I'm not sure how much it would take to actually do damage. Let us know how your tank goes from here, and remember that you can always pull the meds out by adding activated carbon if you encounter an issue.

On 8/23/2021 at 2:11 PM, Ragnarok1200 said:

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying Josh, but I'm so sorry if you experienced a die off from the treatment! I will say that while my nerite did day, the never-ending hoard of bladder snails didn't even take a hit. I'm not exactly sure what the dose is that would cause a die off of shrimp, but I would probably feel comfortable doubling the dose and seeing what happened. If my shrimp were literally nibbling on the medicine granules and it didn't mess with them, them I'm not sure how much it would take to actually do damage. Let us know how your tank goes from here, and remember that you can always pull the meds out by adding activated carbon if you encounter an issue.

Oh no the die off of the hydra shrimp are all fine and but was surprised none of the pond snails died. Lol sorry I didn't really explain.