Coarse Coal Slag Blasting Sand

HH Morant

I have decided to use coal slag blasting media as a substrate. It comes in different particle sizes. I bought a 50 pound bag of medium Black Diamond. On the bottom of the bag three different sizes (1240, 1630, and 2040) are marked, so I assume the "medium" includes all three of these sizes. The bag indicates that there is one size that is coarser, 1040. I think I would like larger size particles than are in the "medium" bag.

If anyone has a preference as to particle size for coal slag substrate, I would appreciate your advice and the reasons you prefer your choice.

I got the medium Black Diamond at Tractor Supply, but they tell me they do not sell any larger particle size. So if I wanted a coarser (larger particle size) coal slag blasting sand, where could I buy it?

I am in Houston, Texas.

Thanks.

@HH MorantRural King also carries it if there's any of those nearby. If not then you could look into a different brand called black beauty blasting sand. On their website it looks like they sell it in hardware stores and pipeline supply places. As to grit, 2040 is the most popular one I've seen recommended. The finer stuff gets blown around easily in the tank during water changes and if you have any livestock that mess around in the substrate. 2040 is basically the middle ground between coarse and fine, though I've heard of people using coarser without issue.

Edited by sudofish
  • Like 1

Thank you, Sudofish. Unfortunately, there are no Rural King stores in Texas. I will probably end up using the medium particle size, as that has worked for others. That size is available at Tractor Supply in Katy, Tx, just a few miles away.