40 Gallon Planted Breeder Tank

Stacy Z

I am starting a 40 gal planted tank for mostly nano fish. A little cloudy after planting the new plants from the website. Struggling with the tree as it’s taking a bit to water log and sink! It’s been in there 3 days now. Today was Day 1 of adding Green to start the nitrogen cycle. Will be a bit for FISH.

Thoughts:

Endler BlackBar

Cherry Barbs

Celestial Danio

Neon Green Tetra

Shrimp

Ramshorn Snails

Threadfin Rainbows 

Anyone know how long a eucalyptus root takes to become waterlogged and sink? 

FBE31275-B9D4-478D-9CD6-ACEF6FF7DC2B.jpeg

Edited by Stacy Z
  • Like 1

It took my spiderwood at least a month, probably 2 or 3, to sink. I had rocks on top of it until it stopped floating. And my kids made me check about every other day.

I've your stocking. The only question/potential concern is the barbs. I have never kept them, but I think some varieties are a bit semi aggressive. I'd look into them.

The other suggestion I'd have is to look into getting a bottom dweller, maybe a corydoras species or kuhli loaches. 

Better than hearing a year online for the wood.

I plan to get the African Frog to maintain the livebears. I forgot to add that. I don’t really like the loaches and I’ve have Corydora before. 
I currently have the 6 Cherry Barbs with my 1 Betta Koi in a 10 gal and apparently they aren’t as aggressive. Now my Males Barbs just matured and chase the females every so often BUT I have a 2/1 ratio with 6 of them. Sometimes they are all together in the caves I have, sleeping. NOW If they become a problem in the bigger setup I’ll put them back in with the Betta. He’s an odd ball Betta, he was raised In community tank when I got him. He’s Alpha and will stare at a fish to move, if they are in his path BUT has never attacked anything. Not even my Ramshorn snail. Got him before he matured accidentally and has not reproduced.

I’m a retired veteran so I work from home. Luckily I’ll will be able to watch everything take place, step by step, as I slowly add in each Species. My cats and I watch these fishes for stress relief for my PTSD. 

I appreciate the OK on my fish thoughts and the concerns, I also have, with the Barbs. Hopefully you like the Frog idea too. I’m hoping my Anbuis Gold Coin will grow up towards the water bit before those frogs come. 

Edited by Stacy Z