Can't seem to get this down

Hi everyone, hope your weekend started of well! I've received a bunch of helpful feedback on others questions I've posted, and I hoped I could get some help with my plants. I can't seem to get that nice, green, lush look from my plants. Attached are some pictures of what I'm seeing. I do have root tabs in, several for each of the bigger plants. I am using the Fluval stratum so there's a little bit of nutrients there. I use Easy Green and have been messing around getting the right ratio. I also copied an intricate light schedule I saw from someone else on the forum. Any advice is appreciated! 

Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates ~ 40ppm, ph 7.2

20210731_095248.jpg

20210731_095254.jpg

20210731_095300.jpg

20210731_095324.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 11:40 AM, Pacers94 said:

@Fish Folk yes its about 5 weeks old. 55 gallon, 20" tall, 12" deep, 4' wide

Several factors to bear in mind: (1) the setup is still very new, and hasn’t balanced (2) the algae you’re seeing is very common in new tank setups. (3) your plants are very new, and aren’t adjusted to the new parameters yet. Some may melt / die back before growing out to your water (4) it is _possible_ that the depth of your 55 gal might be a challenge for your lighting to “throw” down through.

Over time, this can be slowly improved. In some tanks though, it remains a challenge. 

• Like 2

Since the plants are fairly new to the tank it could be that they’re acclimating to your tank. Some plants are sold in their air grown form and need time to convert to underwater growth. I don’t think this is the case with Swords and Valisneria but even if they were grown submerged they still might need some adjustment time. 

With Nitrates at 40ppm you may want to slow down on the fertilizers. Give the plants time to absorb the Nitrates and as the others said, there is a period of adjustment plants go through when in a new environment.

Give them plenty of light starting with 8 hours per day, and adjust as you see fit. Make sure plants that require more light are not shaded by others. Don't panic if you get algae, as you get the light schedule correct and the plants absorb nutrients, this will deprive the algae from food and it will go away.

• Like 2