Mbuna tank temps

Yes. For long term success, you want to keep the fish in an environment as close to their natural habitat. My house is also in the 70s (North Washington)and the heater isnt on 24/7, so if you're worried about it sucking up a ton of electricity, it really doesn't make a significant change. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:17 PM, Scott Stevenson said:

Im considering starting a Mbuna tank, Ive been reading up and see that it is recommended to keep them in the high 70's temp range. I live in Minnesota but keep my house about 70 degrees year around. Are the high 70's absolutely mandatory? 

you could probly get away with 75 but I would go no cooler than that

Edited by TankofFish

I heat my fish room to around 78 degrees, and my mbuna tanks are usually between 74 and 76 depending on the season and I haven't had any issues so far.  Most of my tanks are a little below room temp, my guess is natural evaporative cooling, so your tanks might be in the upper 60's if you heat to 70.  

Just my opinion, but I don't think it would be a good idea.  They might survive, but It would be a considerable stress factor, so if there is aggression, sickness, or water quality issues then the results would compound.  I would use a heater if possible, I think you would have a better experience.