Need unique ideas for fertilizing.

I just need help brainstorming ideas.

Knowing that I'll move within a few months, I have all my rooted aquarium plants planted in gravel in tupperware. I'll be able to simply lift out the "pots," set them in buckets of water to travel, then set them back into the tank after moving. Soon after, I can plant them in the usual way.

For now, I simply need to keep them alive in their pots. Thriving is for later. But even keeping them alive is getting... sketchy.

I can't manage to stuff root tabs deep into the small pots. They're jam-packed with roots, and so covered with leaves that I can barely get my hand through the leaves to the substrate. 

The plants I'm most concerned about are vallisneria, and an Amazon sword.

I certainly realize planting them in the normal way would keep them healthier, but it would take a lot of work and time, both now and right before the move. I'm a single mom of a kid with special needs. "Just making the time" is not a thing around here.

Thoughts?

You could possibly use a temporary fertile substrate, that way you don't have to use tabs or ferts in the water. But in all reality, whenever Vals, crypts, and swords are moved to a different source of water, they strip their leaves anyways to adjust. In my opinion, id just leave them in a bucket without burying roots. But if you want, you could also use rock moss with a root tab placed before it. Kind of when you buy a plant from the co op 

On 7/28/2021 at 4:37 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Just dose the water column with which ever fertilizer you choose. Root tabs are not required.

For plants that get most of their nutrients through the roots, I assume I'd need to hold the Nitrate level of the water near 40, rather than the usually recommended 20? 

On 7/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Do you suppose I could let them float loose in their current tank, so the roots have easy access to nutrients in the water? 

Yes you could, but I don't see the point of floating them now. Why not let them be for now, but then float them in a bucket when you plan on transporting it? 

On 7/28/2021 at 7:49 PM, Keeg said:

I don't see the point of floating them now. 

Well, my thinking was that the nutrients could get to the roots that way, since I'm having trouble getting root tabs into the little pots. But I don't know that it'd be effective anyway.

If your plants are still in the pots I would just keep them in there for ease. 

As long as you have fertilizer in your water column the plants can still uptake through the leaves and I'm sure nutrients will soak into the rock wool as well.

A lot of times when I don't have time to plant I just throw them in a tank with the pot for months on end. They probably don't look as good as the would if I planted earlier but they at least survive until I have time. They will be fine just keep an eye on them.

• Like 2

@Mmiller2001  @Koi @Keeg

Check me on this idea, please. 

I could get plastic baskets with a lot of holes (such as those commonly used in bathrooms or for packing strawberries.) I re-plant my val and sword into them, in gravel, with root tabs in the middle. From then on, I cross my fingers that nutrients from the water column will come through the holes and be enough to keep the val and sword in decent health. 

Can y'all think of any red flags about that idea?

Edited by CalmedByFish

On 7/30/2021 at 11:12 PM, CalmedByFish said:

@Mmiller2001  @Koi @Keeg

Check me on this idea, please. 

I could get plastic baskets with a lot of holes (such as those commonly used in bathrooms or for packing strawberries.) I re-plant my val and sword into them, in gravel, with root tabs in the middle. From then on, I cross my fingers that nutrients from the water column will come through the holes and be enough to keep the val and sword in decent health. 

Can y'all think of any red flags about that idea?

I'm 100% confident you don't need root tabs at all and just add a bit of nutrients in the water is all you need to make your move. The plants will take a "hit" but should settle once you are up and running. I had some plants, shipped to me, that took 6 days in the mail. They were fine. FYI

On 7/31/2021 at 9:30 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I had some plants, shipped to me, that took 6 days in the mail. They were fine. 

Yeah, I wouldn't worry at all for probably a month. Catch is, I'm looking at ~3 more months that the plants will have to stay potted.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:26 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry at all for probably a month. Catch is, I'm looking at ~3 more months that the plants will have to stay potted.

Ah, just give them light and dose the water column. I don't use root tabs at all. I know the plants will be fine. Keep temps and light stable and you should be good to go.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:30 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Ah, just give them light and dose the water column. I don't use root tabs at all. I know the plants will be fine. Keep temps and light stable and you should be good to go.

I must learn from you, Obi-Wan! I very much dislike messing with root tabs. Do you have "heavy root feeders?" If so, do they get much fish poo? I'm intrigued! 

On 7/31/2021 at 11:03 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I must learn from you, Obi-Wan! I very much dislike messing with root tabs. Do you have "heavy root feeders?" If so, do they get much fish poo? I'm intrigued! 

It just comes down to dosing correctly. I use dry fertilizers and I know exactly how much NPK and Micros I'm dosing. It's a leaner Estimative Index regiment, but the same principles apply to non CO2 tanks too. Just have enough nutrients in the water, proper light and CO² and the plants will thrive. If you don't use CO2, then bring the light intensity down and the fertilizers too.

If you're interested, just Google Estimative Index dosing.

Edited by Mmiller2001