A Couple Pictures of My Newly Planted Kitchen Aquarium

I noticed I had some unused countertop space so of course I had to put an aquarium there. My goal is for it to completely fill in with plants so at first glance it looks like a house plant to unassuming guests. I'm not sure what to stock the aquarium with but luckily I have you all to help me decide. 

20210724_150544.jpg

20210724_150359.jpg

• Like 8

On 7/24/2021 at 7:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

I love water sprite.  Unfortunately it hates me with a vengeance on a personal level 🤣 yeah I have nitrate in my source water. That stuff grows up to 4 inches a week. Fanwort (cambomba spelling) is about the same growth and beautiful but intense light is a must. 

Nice, I hope my little tank fills in super lush. I was thinking of stocking this tank with some explanation point rasbora and wild neocaridina, maybe a nerite snail as well. I want my friends to walk over to the counter for a cup of coffee and then be like "what's this thing, oh look there are tiny little fish and shrimp in this house plant!" 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:50 PM, Streetwise said:

That definitely looks fish-ready, but I would wait just a little bit longer for it to be messy enough for shrimp.

It's only a few days old, I'm trying my best to be patient before I add any livestock. I like to use cycled filter material to start new tanks, then just add a touch of pure ammonia to get a bearing on how quickly it gets knocked down to zero parts per million. I'm not quite there yet. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 7:50 PM, Streetwise said:

That definitely looks fish-ready, but I would wait just a little bit longer for it to be messy enough for shrimp.

Same for the nerite. Mine won’t eat most wafers because too high protein I grow him algae rocks. 

• Like 1