Classroom Tank

Ender97

My wife is a teacher in a special needs preschool and we have bin talking for a while about me setting up a tank in her classroom. I am not new to the hobby but the special challenges of setting up the tank in a classroom full of 4 year old's has me thinking. Has anyone here ever set up such a tank, is there things I need to consider beyond the normal? I know that the kids are going to be more hands on at the beginning of the year then they should be so are there fish that handle tapping on the tank better then others? Anyone with any info or thoughts I would appreciate hearting them.

Part of the reason for this is a retired teacher friend of mine let me know that he has a stack of 10 and 20 Gal tanks with hoods and some other equipment that they are wanting to get rid of.  So thank fully I am not super worried about things falling into the tanks to often.

Fish like bettas seem to handle loud tapping on the glass. They seem to be quite the curious fish as well, and I'm sure they would enjoy the extra attention. Thats the fish I would personally reccemend

Another fish that came to mind would be glofish. All though I'm not the biggest fan of glofish, I know that kids at the preschool age would love that colorful, glowing fish. All though in my experiance they can be a bit skiddish, so not sure they would be the best fit for a preschool classroom.

Guppies? The kids would likely get to witness new babies in the tank. Or maybe mollies or swordtails for the same reason.

And of course the top of the tank should be beyond the reach - and perhaps the climbing ability - of the munchkins.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...