How to get stuck oto out of net ?

anewbie

I purchased a group of oto and in the process of transferring them to the tank several managed to get their nose stuck in the netting. I've given them an hour to work their way free and tried gently moving the net and tugging the fishes but they are still stuck. Any suggestions as to how to free them ?

they have little backwards facing barbs. on their gill covers/pectoral fins I think. they need to go forward, then back, and they probably are not going to figure it out. To be honest, a net is cheap. cut it gently with very small scissors, a thread at a time until they can get out.

• Like 6

On 7/20/2021 at 12:32 PM, Brandy said:

they have little backwards facing barbs. on their gill covers/pectoral fins I think. they need to go forward, then back, and they probably are not going to figure it out. To be honest, a net is cheap. cut it gently with very small scissors, a thread at a time until they can get out.

Yea. I ended up cutting both of them out - i think one still has a bit of netting on the nose but he jumped away and now he is 'lost' so hopefully the remaining threads will eventually give way. I actually managed to get 4 of them trapped in that net but got 2 out (I had a shipment of 16 - never had them get trapped in nets before but i think in the future i will just poor them into a specimen container and use my hand because this was a real ordeal for them. Didn't help that the angels kept looking them over.

• Like 1