Phosphates get absorbed within a day?!

I'm struggling with GSA now that the amount of plants in my tank is doubled. It's a 10g tank, understocked, with 1 female betta, 1 oto, and about 5 shrimp or so. The oto and shrimp are eating some of the GSA but they barely have any effect on its spread.

I am dosing 2ml of Seachem Phosphorus every 2 days (which is about 8 times more than the recommended amount) to get the phosphates from 0.01ppm to around 0.3ppm. Whenever I dose phosphates GSA starts going away, but within a day the phosphates are gone almost completely again. I am getting annoyed with it since I don't like dosing daily, I'm trying to keep it down to twice a week.

Anyone have experience with dealing with this problem? Should I just dose 4ml every time instead? (It's not the light because the GSA grows even in completely dark spots in the tank)

On 7/20/2021 at 2:58 PM, Guppysnail said:

Your gsa is most likely devouring your phos and growing

It actually started before I was dosing any phosphorus, and it spread quickly. I read somewhere that this was due to phosphate deficiency so I started dosing it based on the recommended basis. It kept dying and coming back as soon as the phosphates were gone, so I increased the amount.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, BaRanchik said:

It actually started before I was dosing any phosphorus, and it spread quickly. I read somewhere that this was due to phosphate deficiency so I started dosing it based on the recommended basis. It kept dying and coming back as soon as the phosphates were gone, so I increased the amount.

Interesting I always thought phos caused it. Learn something new every day. Im interested to see what it is then. Good luck

I found this hope it helps i dont know how to link

0FB26EA6-E1D5-41D2-AA04-C415DCDED756.png

Edited by Guppysnail
Add pic
  • Like 1