Rice fish varieties

CT_

I got some rice fish a while ago as "platinums" and looking at babies now I'm wondering what platinum means.  Some babies are a slightly orangeish pink like you'd see in an albino fish.  others are more white/silvery white.  Should I cull the less white ones?  Did I get a different variety?

In general they look closer to pearl galaxy than platinum to me judging on google photos.

Here's one with egg on it's face:  I don't have good light and a fast shutter so everything comes out blurry for me.

image.png.593b6b37517ef910bea81912e693a45b.png

• Like 1

Here's a Genus list from Wikipedia:

111975429_ScreenShot2021-07-17at6_24_15PM.png.f075c75b5d743eac989c8800f0048344.png

Question is whether you're looking at separate _species_ within this Genus, or separate _color morphs_ of one species (as, for example, German Blue Rams, Electric Blue Rams, Golden Rams are all Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi -- same species, different color morphs)

• Like 1

Yeah I guess I'm looking for what colormorph when I say variety.  I didn't really phrase my question well either.  I'm wondering if medaka are like cherry shrimp where there's 6 names for blue and 20 for red.  Or if I can be fairly sure I have pearl since the photos of pearl look the same.

For a reason of mistakes and drastically different parameters and probably other reasons im down to one female and some fry, so I want to find her a new male and get the fry machine going again before the end of summer.

They look more like the Galaxy Pearl variety that I am growing out right now. I have platinums as well, there is a distinct difference in color between the two.

Here are a few photos of my platinums. 

medaka2.jpg.7628b7d956290faa727b90052444b23f.jpgmedaka3.jpg.3269f6f291f2484e80d6f8bf29dd1cfb.jpg

Edited by shkote
Added photos
  • Like 1