spots on tank

apothecarrie

Hi!

Situation:  I have white spots on my tank walls that I can't get rid of.  

Background: I had several fish die a couple months ago from what I thought was ich.  I started to notice white spots on the tank walls, floor and heater.... then noticed on my pleco (which was a new addition).  The spot covered the poor guy.. then got to my angel fish.  I treat with ich-x... but they both died.  

I haven't been able to get the white spots off the tank walls.  Maybe the ich and spots on the tank walls are separate issues??

Any help is welcome

IMG_9447 2.JPG

IMG_9449 2.JPG

Hi there. Very sorry about your losses with Ich. Since you're only asking about what the white spots could be- not sure they have anything to do with the Ich (I've treated ich twice and never saw this). Could it be limpets? Google image search- they are hard shelled critters so would be hard to get off the glass. 

tempFileForShare_20210715-2027411.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

Those pics are sooo helpful. I dont think it's limpets.  They are more like tiny irregular clumps that sway with the movement of the water. I grabbed my kids microscope it looked like a clump of plant cells?? No movement, looked green.  Last time i scrubbed the tank walls, and did large water change spots came back in a day or two.  

I took a picture of one of the fish... i dont see any spots... its hard for me to tell if the tail fin has any spots. He survived my initial ich treatment 2 months ago.   The other two Tetra do not have any spots.  I added them to the tank after I treated ich

My next step was going to be one more scrub... good water change, clean the sponge in my filter (but not the bio-rocks).  If that doesn't work... I'm not sure what to do

IMG_9456.JPG

IMG_9458.JPG

Well my only other thought is they could be hydra or some other sort of parasite since you've been having so many issues. Ich is parasite but I don't know if meds specifically for them kills other things. I'm wondering if you need to do your water change but then do a general parasitic treatment on the tank. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Can you not get rid of them because they are firmly adhered to the glass or because they keep coming back? It is hard to tell from the pictures use a magnifying glass and look if they are crawling not swaying.  They may be copepod clusters since you say they sway. Copepods are harmless live fish food.