Python modification

BF McUmber

I am debating on getting a Python for my new tank as the tank is on the opposite side of the house as my sink. My kitchen sink is old and for the moment lets just assume I can't get a python fitting to work. I have seen Cory's video where he attaches a powerhead to the end of the tube so that he does not have to mess with the suction valve at the faucet. With this approach wouldn't you have to switch the ends of the pipe when you wanted to drain/fill (or at minimum move the powerhead). This would not really be that hard, but would possibly make me drip through the house. I am trying to think of ways that I could avoid this any maybe even save some water when using the python.  

It seems like I would be able to use the 3 way valve that comes with the python and connect a powerhead to the "faucet" side. Throw it in a bucket full of water and just let the bucket circulate/overflow to drain the tank. Then pour the dirty water out of the bucket, fill it up again with fresh water, and then fill the tank back up again. Does anyone know of a reason why this would not work? I don't see anyone use a power head in this manner they all seem to direct attach it to the tube which would ultimately be faster. 

This is an interesting idea, and now I'm curious if this would work as well.  I suspect that it would work, but would be considerably slower than than just pumping the water out directly with the powerhead like you said. 

I wasn't sure if my faucet would work with the Python either, so instead I attached a pump to a DIY PVC hook.  After I pump down the tank a bit, I put the pump in a  2 gallon bucket, walk it to the sink, then put the hook in the bucket and walk it to the tank.  Then I run water into the bucket as i pump it to the tank.  I only dribble water if I'm being sloppy (not letting the pump drain out before moving it from tank to bucket).  My pump is rated for 800 gal. an hour and cost $35 like 3 years ago.  

I'm sure everyone has a little different setup and preference for how to changing water.  I just like to keep it simple and quick.

Depends. If you intend to use the python to clean your substrate, using a powerful pump will only cause you to suck up all your substrate. Using a powerhead with the right flow rate would be the critical bit. However, using a powerhead to pump from another container to fill would be simple enough. 

I definitely think I'm going in the school of don't ever gravel vac with my shrimp if I can get the plants to grow. So mainly it will just be for water changing.  

If I got a strong pump i may be able to drain pretty well.  However, I would have to throttle it down some when filling because I would again be limited by my faucet flow rate (plus whatever volume the bucket is as a buffer.)

I also thought about having a quick connect on the pump to just have to walk the pump and not have to invert the tube. Similar to yours @Rob E. when looking at the price of doing that was only slightly cheaper than getting the python though.    

On 7/12/2021 at 12:18 AM, bwar said:

I definitely think I'm going in the school of don't ever gravel vac with my shrimp if I can get the plants to grow. So mainly it will just be for water changing.  

If I got a strong pump i may be able to drain pretty well.  However, I would have to throttle it down some when filling because I would again be limited by my faucet flow rate (plus whatever volume the bucket is as a buffer.)

I also thought about having a quick connect on the pump to just have to walk the pump and not have to invert the tube. Similar to yours @Rob E. when looking at the price of doing that was only slightly cheaper than getting the python though.    

I typically don't gravel vac any of my tanks.  If the mulm gets excessive then I either stir it up with my hand while pumping water out, or gravel vac into a bucket with the pump in the bucket.  With my shrimp tanks, I will put a piece of fine pad in front of the pump suction to keep the shrimp from getting sucked in. 

The pump I use has an adjustable thingy on the suction end that partially blocks the flow, but I will often let it pump faster than the sink fills the bucket, It makes some cavitation noise, but Its been going strong for years now.  (On amazon its the green vivosun).

Quick disconnect fitting may be a good option depending on how long the hose is and how indirect the path is from the tank to the sink.  I've never used the Python, so I can't say if its better for the money. I just think a pump is more versatile. 

edit: you could probably plumb the pump to use a simple garden hose thread. 

Edited by Rob E.

You don't even need to use the three way pump valve to empty your tank. I only use it to fill my tanks. In my tanks that are upstairs in the living area of my house, I either run the hose to a bathtub and empty or out a nearby window into the yard. 

When it comes to filling the tank if you can't hook it up to your sink, I have seen people set a bucket in sink, running water into bucket and have a pump or powerhead connected to python hose. You could get one of the wifi outlets that you plug the pump into and use phone to turn on and off from a distance, 

• Like 1

I was able to make it work. I bought a aquatop max flow ph8 because that's what the co-op had.  It is rated for 211 gph and 3.6 ft of head.  I have a 50 foot long python and was able to get it to drain the tank at about 35gph. The tank is a little higher than the sink by like a foot. 

A stronger pump would obviously go faster to drain it.  I was also thinking about getting a quick connect on the inlet so that when it is primed I could make it flow faster too.  

Edit: I draining a 10 gallon tank with only using a short hose and was only getting about 55 gph out of the pump. 

20210719_184702.jpg

20210719_200949.jpg

Edited by bwar