Help with growths

Jenny

Hello, I need help. I have a 125 gallon tank with great levels that I diligently care for. This growth started to grow on my polar blue parrot’s fin and then on my angel fish and rainbow cichlid. My rainbow started to swell at the mouth abdomen, and eyes. I put him and polar blue in hospital tank with kanaplex for 72 hrs. The tank had an ammonia spike so I quickly put them back in 125. I added epsom salt to the 125 gal. 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons. Did I mess up by putting salt in my main tank? What should I do? I keep reading mixed ideas. 😞 please help. Thank you 

Hi Jenny, You probably didn't "mess up" by putting salt in your tank. I assume that you moved the 2 sick fish from the hospital tank because the HOSPITAL TANK got an ammonia spike? Salt generally speaking is not bad for tanks, some old schoolers put it in as a routine maintenance and it treats some general illness. 

I don't know what illness you're dealing with so I will assume for now you know until you say otherwise. When I medicate it's often in a smaller tank OR I'm treating with meds and heat and that speeds up decay which often leads to ammonia spikes. I just up my water changes and personally I treat the hospital tank with Prime which renders the ammonia "harmless" for 24-48 hours then redose meds when needed. 

If you need help with identifying illness, please post pics and anything else handy information wise that you know. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

Hey Jenny,

Epsom salt is more commonly used as a dip/bath, and can be effective for swelling and constipation. I think you may have wanted to use Aquarium salt, which is quite different, and can be effective for fungal and bacterial infections....which sounds more aligned with what you may be experiencing.

Epsom salt can also raise the hardness of the water, which may or may not be desired. I think a plan of smaller waterchanges would remove the Epsom salt effectively. You can then add it Aquarium salt slowly....eventually getting to a 1TBSP per 3-5 gallon ratio.

With that being said, if you can post a picture of the issues, hopefully the advice can be be pinpointed in the proper direction.

• Like 2