Sick pea puffer

Starfish138

My pea puffer has been hovering at the top of the water and not eating he’s about two years old and otherwise has been healthy.  He’s in a 10 gallon tank with lots of plants. Has anyone ever heard of this it’s been going on about two days now.   It does look like he’s kind of gasping for air at the top. 

What are your tank parameters?

Any recent water changes? There may be low oxygen in the tank and that could account for that. What is the temperature? Do you have an air stone?

Any pictures?

Edited by eatyourpeas
Typos.

@Starfish138 if I'm reading that right, do you have ammonia registering on your test strips? That may be the cause. As @eatyourpeassuggested, have you done any recent water changes? The only time my puffs behaved that way was when we  accidentally put too much water conditioner in the water we used during a water change so there wasn't enough oxygen. Another water change with the correct dosing fixed it immediately. 

On 7/10/2021 at 6:33 AM, Starfish138 said:

I did do a separate ammonia test and it was 0. Sadly my puffer past away. I tried to start treatment but it was to late. 😢

Oh I'm so sorry! Sending a virtual hug, as I know how attached we get to our little puffs. 🤗