Fish eating eggs??

Shade

Every person I have ever heard talk about fish breeding and especially corydoras breeding says that every single fish will eat every single fish egg as soon as they are laid. Almost every time my Cories lay eggs no fish will bother them (my Xenotoca Doadrioi got a taste for them and then would occasionally eat them but still not all of them) and they will always stay till they hatch. The Cories seem to 'clean' the eggs and pull off the infertile or bad eggs as a few eggs will be missing yet that's 3/~400 so that isn't even many. In this tank I have 3 Discus, 1 Synodontis Petricola, 5 Pea Puffers, and over 30 Cories of 4 species mixed. The eggs are of the Bronze Aeneus Cory. 

What I am looking for is others with similar experiences and for those who THINK or believe that all fish will always eat all the eggs, I think maybe we should slow down and try to look at as many factors as we can to determine what is TRULY going on as every single experience is different and we need to take that into account. So thank you in advance for helping and not being hostile or overly negative. 

16255880474673931253746233743402.jpg

16255880672461153944741479716983.jpg

16255886730605917673420970543839.jpg

I'd say not 100% of the time, probably not even 30%.  I find that if my albinos lay on the front glass and I walk in and shadow the tank they panic and eat them.  My pepper corries could care less and just lay away.

But seriously, every person?  Any notable breeders?

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 12:45 PM, KBOzzie59 said:

I'd say not 100% of the time, probably not even 30%.  I find that if my albinos lay on the front glass and I walk in and shadow the tank they panic and eat them.  My pepper corries could care less and just lay away.

But seriously, every person?  Any notable breeders?

Yeah pretty seriously every single person I've heard talk about says what I said they say. I don't have fish friends to talk to so it's mostly vids and forums or other online stuff. But yeah that is ALL I have ever heard which angers me a little bc even if I didn't know anything about fish I'd know that's not true. Maybe I haven't found the people that don't say that lol. But thanks for sharing, I haven't had albinos yet and my pepper (paleatus) act like yours lol 

Since I moved a group of 6 bronzes (Corydoras aeneus) to my 100 gallon, I don’t think the eggs are getting eaten but I have no idea if any fry are surviving.  I haven’t seen a baby yet and I do periodically see them in my other bronze cory tank that has around a dozen or so in a 29 (they’re *supposed* be going to my lfs soon).  I also have a singleton yoyo loach in with this group and still have the occasional baby randomly appear.

I sure the eggs were fairly frequently getting eaten (witnessed) when I had a bunch temporarily in a 20 high holding tank and I’m reasonably sure the fry were also getting eaten.  Too many adults in too small a space despite it being *loaded* with plants and driftwood.

The 100 is very densely planted and has a low fish population so far since it’s *new*.  I keep expecting to see fry, but none so far.  Admittedly, I’m mostly viewing from across the room, not as often from up close.  I only have a few small plecos in the 100 with the corys at the moment.  Bristlenose morphs x 3 juvies, adult clown pleco (I’m assuming it’s still in there, haven’t seen it in weeks, unknown L#), and a young adult gold nugget (not certain which species of nugget, I *think* L018).

It’s been forever since I had corys in the bad old days (I dropped out of fishkeeping for around 10 years and only fairly recently restarted) and I don’t think I ever had a significant group of the same species back then.  I don’t recall ever seeing a cory breeding back then.

• Thanks 1