Will Betta Mahachai, Chili Rasboras, and Corydoras Venezulan Black be able to go into a 20 gallon long?

Yanni

I wanted to try and do a blackwater community tank just because I haven't seen too many videos on it. I saw someone local was selling a betta mahachai pair and I already was planning on getting some chili rasboras and I have 3 black venezulan corydoras. I was thinking of doing a blackwater setup with fluval stratum, capped with sand, some plants, and sponge filter. Probably going to have lots of driftwood and possibly some river rocks. Would a pair of betta mahachai, 10 chili rasboras, and 3 black venezualn corydoras be good in a 20 gallon? 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, Yanni said:

Ok, should I put in a different fish instead of the chili rasboras?

No, it’s just that they are so tiny, and would appreciate the perceived safety of some kind of refuge.

Any of the Rasboras would be a good choice for this intended mix.

• Like 2

Chili rasboras are just really jittery fish. They appreciate lots of cover so floating plants with long roots like water lettuce can be helpful. They tend to stay higher in the water column. They don’t like flow. They also do better in bigger groups and as they are so small their bioload is low so you could do a group of >10 in a 20 L without a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1