Green neon tetra mysterious disease

Karen B.

I have a community tank.

Population : 1 honey gourami, 10 green neon tetra, 10 chili rasbora, 7 false julii cory, 4 nerita snails.

Cycled, planted, temp about 75, ph 7.6, kh 4, gh 11, 0/0/(between 0 and 30). 
WC every week or 2 weeks depending.

On the first week of june, I noticed 3 of my neon tetra had white pathches on their tail. Just some kind of discoloration but no fuzziness.

Then a kind of blister appeared on the top of the head of one of them, as well as a white fuzzy patch behind it’s dorsal fin. They all still swim and eat. And none of the other fishes caught it. 
B81D7107-7267-4375-B416-EBBD58056F04.jpeg.4f27073ea8c9cda8d39cfbf55705ce99.jpeg

I treated the whole community tank with Maracyn + Ick-X, nothing happened.

I then moved then 10 neon tetra to a 2 gallons hospital tank. I am treating them with salt (1 tbs/gallon) and supratect (some natural meds based on garlic) + 50% wc every 2 days (and redosing salt).

It’s been 2 weeks and there is no improvement at all. The symptoms are the same. And the other fishes still healthy.

What should be my next step? Any other treatment I could try?
What about the 8 healthy tetras? Do I still leave them in the hospital tank? I feel bad treating them as they are fine, but as they are schooling fish, is it ok to separate the sick ones? Won’t they be stressed to only be 2-3 in their tank.

I think I accidentally caused this problem - I stupidly cleaned my HOB filter while it was still running and when I pulled the last one sponge, a huge cloud of gunk spilled in the aquarium which instantly became brown. I did a WC right after but the problem on my green neon tetra appeared few days after. 

If someone could help, I would really appreciate. The fish seem to eat and swim just fine. How long do I keep trying to heal it? Do I give up and euthanize him? Or as it does not seem contagious, I give up and put him back in the community tank? @Cory

On 6/28/2021 at 1:44 AM, Karen B. said:

I have a community tank.

Population : 1 honey gourami, 10 green neon tetra, 10 chili rasbora, 7 false julii cory, 4 nerita snails.

Cycled, planted, temp about 75, ph 7.6, kh 4, gh 11, 0/0/(between 0 and 30). 
WC every week or 2 weeks depending.

On the first week of june, I noticed 3 of my neon tetra had white pathches on their tail. Just some kind of discoloration but no fuzziness.

Then a kind of blister appeared on the top of the head of one of them, as well as a white fuzzy patch behind it’s dorsal fin. They all still swim and eat. And none of the other fishes caught it. 
B81D7107-7267-4375-B416-EBBD58056F04.jpeg.4f27073ea8c9cda8d39cfbf55705ce99.jpeg

I treated the whole community tank with Maracyn + Ick-X, nothing happened.

I then moved then 10 neon tetra to a 2 gallons hospital tank. I am treating them with salt (1 tbs/gallon) and supratect (some natural meds based on garlic) + 50% wc every 2 days (and redosing salt).

It’s been 2 weeks and there is no improvement at all. The symptoms are the same. And the other fishes still healthy.

What should be my next step? Any other treatment I could try?
What about the 8 healthy tetras? Do I still leave them in the hospital tank? I feel bad treating them as they are fine, but as they are schooling fish, is it ok to separate the sick ones? Won’t they be stressed to only be 2-3 in their tank.

I think I accidentally caused this problem - I stupidly cleaned my HOB filter while it was still running and when I pulled the last one sponge, a huge cloud of gunk spilled in the aquarium which instantly became brown. I did a WC right after but the problem on my green neon tetra appeared few days after. 

If someone could help, I would really appreciate. The fish seem to eat and swim just fine. How long do I keep trying to heal it? Do I give up and euthanize him? Or as it does not seem contagious, I give up and put him back in the community tank? @Cory

It could be epistylis they get white spots and fuzz patches like your green neon has  recommend treatment is seachems kanaplex in food you will also need seachem focus it acts as a binding agent to mix with kanaplex and  food

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 9:34 PM, Colu said:

It could be epistylis they get white spots and fuzz patches like your green neon has  recommend treatment is seachems kanaplex in food you will also need seachem focus it acts as a binding agent to mix with kanaplex and  food

It’s not quite the same. Plus another treatment is salt and my tetras have been in salt for 2 weeks with no improvement…