betta fish will not eat but does not appear sick

matriorb

hello there, i was wondering if i could get some help with a betta who will not eat. his paramters are 0 0 5, his tank is heated and filtered, and he's full of live plants. he stopped eating after i got this new light that was a little too bright and the tank had an algae bloom. the algae is mostly gone but he still will not eat!

i tried topfin betta bits and omega one pellets. he ate some frozen brine shrimp but obviously i cant feed him that every day. i tried rubbing some pellets on a clove of garlic and he definitely ate a little more but eventually turned his nose up at that too. he doesnt look sick but what do i know right? its been a week of this struggle and nothings working

spacer.pngspacer.png spacer.png

I would suggest soaking his food in seachems garlic guard add some floating plants like water lettuce or Amazonian frogbit to give him some shade so he feels more secure I would also try feeding him frozen blood worms

On 6/22/2021 at 4:13 AM, Colu said:

I would suggest soaking his food in seachems garlic guard add some floating plants like water lettuce or Amazonian frogbit to give him some shade so he feels more secure I would also try feeding him frozen blood worms

Thank you so much! I know you're just one opinion, but at the end of the day, does he look sick to you? Is there some kind of sickness on his body that I'm missing? 

He looks pretty good to me but not eating is a concern. I totally concur with trying frozen bloodworms. Have you tried putting back the old light? Bettas apparently aren't huge fans of bright lights. I'd try dimming it or something to see if he acts any differently. 

How do you feed him? If it's just floating foods maybe the light is preventing him from seeing it OR he won't approach because it's uncomfortable. Have you ever tried feeding him by hand or with tweezers? 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:06 PM, matriorb said:

Thank you so much! I know you're just one opinion, but at the end of the day, does he look sick to you? Is there some kind of sickness on his body that I'm missing? 

Looking at your pictures nothing jumping out at me there's a possibility it could internal bacterial infection or something else is going on you could treat with seachem metroplex as it treats bacterial infections and parasitic infection  to cover all base

Edited by Colu