My Fluval hob just died, is this sponge filter enough?

Just Renee

My power just went out for a sec and when I turned it back on, I noticed my Fluval/Aqueon hob filter wasn't working.  Re-primed with water and then I noticed it wasn't humming or anything.  The little motor part was a little warm to the touch so it was doing something but it was definitely not pumping water.  I have fiddled with it a bunch but I can't get it to work again and it's a bummer because it's like a month or so old!  Totally ridiculous.

I have a nano aquarium co-op sponge filter in there, is that enough to keep my cycle going?  I have a small sized sponge filter as well, I guess I should pop that one in too as it seems stupid to get another hob filter when I have these sponge filters.

Has anyone had this happen with the Fluval/Aqueon hob filter?  Is there something I'm missing to get it working again?

On 6/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, Just Renee said:

My power just went out for a sec and when I turned it back on, I noticed my Fluval/Aqueon hob filter wasn't working.  Re-primed with water and then I noticed it wasn't humming or anything.  The little motor part was a little warm to the touch so it was doing something but it was definitely not pumping water.  I have fiddled with it a bunch but I can't get it to work again and it's a bummer because it's like a month or so old!  Totally ridiculous.

I have a nano aquarium co-op sponge filter in there, is that enough to keep my cycle going?  I have a small sized sponge filter as well, I guess I should pop that one in too as it seems stupid to get another hob filter when I have these sponge filters.

Has anyone had this happen with the Fluval/Aqueon hob filter?  Is there something I'm missing to get it working again?

Yes, small HOBs of every brand struggle. To get them working, you need to figure out how to get the impeller rotating again. Often, taking it apart, gently washing, and putting back together clears up the problem. Once you get really familiar with where the magnets / solenoids are at, you’ll figure out how to get them going again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 4:17 PM, Just Renee said:

Sponge filters are best. 

• Like 2

I am 100% on board with trying just the sponge filter however, is the nano enough for a heavily planted 20gallon?  I have a small one I can get going, but I am also worried about my cycle bacteria.... I assume most of them are in my now non-functioning hob filter.  The nano sponge has been in my tank for a couple of weeks now, so it definitely has some bacteria, just not sure if it's enough.

On 6/20/2021 at 4:28 PM, Just Renee said:

I am 100% on board with trying just the sponge filter however, is the nano enough for a heavily planted 20gallon?  I have a small one I can get going, but I am also worried about my cycle bacteria.... I assume most of them are in my now non-functioning hob filter.  The nano sponge has been in my tank for a couple of weeks now, so it definitely has some bacteria, just not sure if it's enough.

You could just take your media out of the HOB and set in the tank out of sight near some air.

• Like 1

Beat me to the punch @Fish Folk. The magnets have to sit in the housing just right or the impeller will not work. Cannot tell you how many customer filters I fixed this way. But if it still doesn't work a month should be well within any return policy. 

Only thing I can add here is take your filter media out of the HOB and pop it into a water permeable bag and stick it in the tank with the sponge filter. If the media dries out you can lose your bacteria colonies you worked so hard to grow.

• Like 2