When will my platy give birth?

Chlo

My platy, Cookie, has looked pregnant for awhile, and when we got her the fish store also said she is pregnant. Does it look like she will give birth soon? I'm pretty sure I can see the fry eyes, but it is a little hard to see in the pictures. Her belly kind of looks squared but I'm not sure. I moved her into a breeding box a little while ago but decided to release her because a lot of things say that it can really stress them out and even make her release the fry too early. I really want to save at least one fry so I'm wondering how soon she will probably give birth

2021-06-19.jpg

2021-06-19.jpg

2021-06-19.jpg

2021-06-19.jpg

What other fish do you have in the tank with her? I have more Platy than I know what to do with without any protection or special arrangements to protect the fry from their parents. Just some live plants and driftwood for cover.

I even had two survive the chaos that is my Barb tank before I got them moved into their 40 breeder home.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, DSH OUTDOORS said:

What other fish do you have in the tank with her? I have more Platy than I know what to do with without any protection or special arrangements to protect the fry from their parents. Just some live plants and driftwood for cover.

I even had two survive the chaos that is my Barb tank before I got them moved into their 40 breeder home.

I have a couple other platies and some corydoras. I've had a couple random fry survive in the tank, but the tank is pretty open

• Administrators

Usually livebearers give birth every 30 days or so. Temperature can play a big part as well as how stressed or not they are. The best you can do it get lots of cover for fry and wait. Feed well so the adults don't want to chase down the fry as much.

On 6/19/2021 at 1:41 PM, Cory said:

Usually livebearers give birth every 30 days or so. Temperature can play a big part as well as how stressed or not they are. The best you can do it get lots of cover for fry and wait. Feed well so the adults don't want to chase down the fry as much.

Ok, thanks for the response! I don't have any males but I think most of the females I got are pregnant or will give birth, if they haven't already. I guess I'll just watch her the next few days so hopefully I can save some of the fry