What to Feed Brine Shrimp

AErcen

Hello,

New member here, and it is my first post.
I am in the process of ordering some supplies and I have a couple of questions.

1-After the brine shrimp has hatched and harvested, how long can I keep them to feed my fish?

2-If I have to keep them for a while, do I feed the brine shrimp, and what to feed them?

3-During the period they are kept, do you aerate them?

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, AErcen said:

Hello,

1-After the brine shrimp has hatched and harvested, how long can I keep them to feed my fish?

2-If I have to keep them for a while, do I feed the brine shrimp, and what to feed them?

Welcome! Great questions here.

Tge vast majority of folks hatch BBS (baby brine shrimp) in order to feed almost immediately to fish. They hatch in about 36 hrs, if properly prepared. Once hatched, their nutritional value plummets after about 48 hrs. They are ingesting salt to start off life. After that point, they are essentially little shellfish that need to be kept in a small marine aquarium to grow. Some serious hobbyists feed them spirulina powder in a saltwater set up. But it’s a stinky mess, and I’d be very sure you’re doing things right. Basically, what we do, is hatch and then feed right off.

Heres a recent thread to help...

On 6/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, AErcen said:

Hello,

Hatch and feed right away in that 36-48 hour mark is best.  Once you figure out the amount you need, just put in what you need to feed, and not any more.  If I end up with extra, other fish often get a bonus.  Do two hatchery systems so you can alternate, then you always have some available.

As mentioned, you can try to grow them and do them, and I've done it before.  It is a bit of a mess, a lot of work, and not really worth it imo.  My LFS will sell them for $1.00 for half a cup when they have it, much easier for me if I want adult brine.  

Thanks,

I appreciate the information. Since I buy brine shrimp from the local pet store from time to time for some reason I thought I was buying shrimp that has hatched sometime back. Didn't realize they are hatched, and fed within days. 
I ordered the supplies I need and we'll see how it will go. Wish me luck.

As others said, hatch and feed them to fish right away.

If you are attempting to grow them out--which isn't the easiest thing, but certainly not impossible--you can feed them small pinches of sera micron or fine spirulina powder. 

Edited by tolstoy21