I screwed up and got the herpes (duckweed)

I guess I don’t see why people want to get rid of duck weed. When I was at the pet store they actually had some duck weed floating in with some of their plants and I asked them to scoop it up and throw it in with mine, because I can’t find any anywhere, and I didn’t want to go through some farmers ponds just to get it. Besides it growing rampant, what’s the harm?

Edited by Bullsnark

On 9/27/2021 at 12:38 AM, Bullsnark said:

I guess I don’t see why people want to get rid of duck weed. When I was at the pet store they actually had some duck weed floating in with some of their plants and I asked them to scoop it up and throw it in with mine, because I can’t find any anywhere, and I didn’t want to go through some farmers ponds just to get it. Besides it growing rampant, what’s the harm?

There is no harm other than it growing rampantly. And it can grow rampantly. In one of my tnaks it'll block out the light and get a half inch or more deep if I don't weed it our regularly. (I tend to go through tanks every Saturday and weed out the excess, but if I skip a week or two, that tank goes dark from the thick cover of duckweed.) If you don't mind weeding it out on a regular basis, and I mean a reglular basis, it's a great plant. It sucks up nitrates, helps filter the water, some fish eat it as a food and it grows like a weed.