My Favorite Little Football - Green Spotted Puffer

Chris

On 6/14/2021 at 7:37 PM, Patrick_G said:

GSPs are so frickin cute! Are you able to keep any plants with it? 

You could probably keep some thick-leafed Anubias and Ferns with them when they're babies, but as they grow they need more salt in the water. This guy is in full saltwater - I've considered adding in some macroalgae/mangroves, but in reality, he'd probably just rip them to shreds anyway!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, ARMYVET said:

That is so awesome!

What kind of crab is that with him?

Just a scarlet hermit crab. They're about the only thing I can keep with him - he still nips, but can't do any damage. He kills any snails/other crabs I put in there, unfortunately.

On 6/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, ARMYVET said:

Any issues with teeth on these puffers?   I love puffers but dont know that I could handle having to trim his teeth

I've had two GSPs (including this one) and haven't had any issues with their teeth. I feed quite a few shelled foods, though, and since these guys are best kept in a FOWLR tank (even when they're in less salty water as babies, I usually just keep the rock in there), they'll nip at the rocks and cut their beaks that way.

I actually have more trouble out of my Figure 8's teeth, and I think it's because I don't have any rock in there. They get fed the same things every day, too. When I had Amazon Puffers, it was the same deal - I honestly think having rock in the tank makes a huge difference in dentistry.

That said, don't let the prospect of cutting teeth keep you from puffers. As long as you set the tank up right and feed the correct foods, I don't think you'll ever have to trim teeth. My F8's are long, but whenever I see it getting a bit uncomfortable, I just make sure to feed nothing but MTS for a few weeks to really wear them back down. Not a great staple, but great for teeth grinding.

• Thanks 1

I puffer of some sort is deffinitely in my future.  I definitely want a Pea puffer thats a must but you GSP is gorgeous and I dont mind setting up a salt tank for him.  Besides the crab...anything else in the tank with him?  

A 40 Breeder is a nice size for him.  Substrate of crushed coral and some live rock and they would be a very happy fish.  You feed him clams as his main staple?

No other tank mates at the moment. They can live with echinoderms (starfish and urchins) most of the the time, but I've had issues keeping them healthy in this tank. I tried to keep him with a Fire Clownfish at one point (a very aggressive species) and I woke up to the clown missing his tail one day. GSPs are, IME, very aggressive and don't play well with others. Some people keep several GSPs or GSPs and Ceylon puffers together in larger tanks, but I don't think I'd do it.

A 40 breeder is probably about the minimum for an adult! They get about 5-6", and are pretty hard to clean up after.

He gets a clam a couple times a week. I feed live ghost shrimp/fiddler crabs once or twice a month, and then a mixture of salad shrimp/krill and live snails daily. Usually soaked in Vitachem, for the frozen stuff.

Edited by Chris