Jump to content

Boom! Ancistrus Eggs


Fish Folk
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/14/2021 at 8:05 AM, gardenman said:

My super reds tend to lay about a hundred eggs per spawn. If I leave the young in the tank with my swordtails only one or two of the fry survive to adulthood. If I raise them externally nearly all survive. The swordtails really love young pleco fry. 

I’ve heard Swords are surprisingly aggressive. I plan to move in Electric Blue Acara fry that will be 1/2 the size of a pinky fingernail by the time Pleco fry are scattered around the tank. In truth, I’ve already got a load of BNPs... and wouldn’t cry a River if the EBAs reconstituted protein. But I suspect they’ll maybe just develop a symbiotic relationship. We’ll see! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 8:19 AM, Fish Folk said:

I’ve heard Swords are surprisingly aggressive. I plan to move in Electric Blue Acara fry that will be 1/2 the size of a pinky fingernail by the time Pleco fry are scattered around the tank. In truth, I’ve already got a load of BNPs... and wouldn’t cry a River if the EBAs reconstituted protein. But I suspect they’ll maybe just develop a symbiotic relationship. We’ll see! 

At that size the Acara should be pretty safe. My bigger swordtails are over four inches long (minus the sword, just the body) so they don't have a lot of trouble gulping down an occasional baby pleco. My baby plecos are maybe 1/2" long when free swimming and pretty slim. Baby plecos can move pretty quickly when prompted, but often just sit still, so they're not hard for fish to prey on. And they're pretty bright yellow when free swimming, so they're not especially camouflaged. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, gardenman said:

At that size the Acara should be pretty safe. My bigger swordtails are over four inches long (minus the sword, just the body) so they don't have a lot of trouble gulping down an occasional baby pleco. My baby plecos are maybe 1/2" long when free swimming and pretty slim. Baby plecos can move pretty quickly when prompted, but often just sit still, so they're not hard for fish to prey on. And they're pretty bright yellow when free swimming, so they're not especially camouflaged. 

So, strange to say, but I’ve rarely kept swords. Would you mind snapping a photo of yours? I’ve heard they thrive in a long tank where they can really race around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine are Neon Swords. Here's a photo of them in my thirty high taken minutes ago, along with a couple of the super reds lurking in the background.  I bought six of the neon swords online through a no longer in business aquarium retailer and they arrived in August with a freezer pack that had the water in the shipping container at 50 degrees when they arrived. All of the adult fish in that order died (except for one really tough little oto.) Before dying, one of the female neon swords gave birth to eleven fry. Those fry are responsible for the more than a hundred neon swords now filling my tanks. My oldest of the neon swords is now about four years old, but the older ones are dying off a bit now. They're also jumpers. I've had one jump out of my fifty each of the last two nights. I've had the lid cracked as I'm using a modified surface skimmer (the Odyssea model) to skim out as much duckweed as possible and they've decided to hop out through the opening. They're a pretty neat fish though. 

 

IMG_20210614_100750722_MP.jpg

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 10:18 AM, gardenman said:

Mine are Neon Swords. Here's a photo of them in my thirty high taken minutes ago, along with a couple of the super reds lurking in the background.  I bought six of the neon swords online through a no longer in business aquarium retailer and they arrived in August with a freezer pack that had the water in the shipping container at 50 degrees when they arrived. All of the adult fish in that order died (except for one really tough little oto.) Before dying, one of the female neon swords gave birth to eleven fry. Those fry are responsible for the more than a hundred neon swords now filling my tanks. My oldest of the neon swords is now about four years old, but the older ones are dying off a bit now. They're also jumpers. I've had one jump out of my fifty each of the last two nights. I've had the lid cracked as I'm using a modified surface skimmer (the Odyssea model) to skim out as much duckweed as possible and they've decided to hop out through the opening. They're a pretty neat fish though. 

 

IMG_20210614_100750722_MP.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. That’s a fascinating story. We had half a dozen young neon swords awhile back that we bought at a club auction. If I remember right, we sold them before they were multiplying because we had other plans for their tank.

What I’d like to find are the powder blue swordtails. There used to be a few lines going around that were amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/14/2021 at 10:24 AM, Fish Folk said:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. That’s a fascinating story. We had half a dozen young neon swords awhile back that we bought at a club auction. If I remember right, we sold them before they were multiplying because we had other plans for their tank.

What I’d like to find are the powder blue swordtails. There used to be a few lines going around that were amazing.

Finding a line of powder blues that breed true is the big issue with the powder blues. They tend not to do so. You're apt to get many, many fry that are anything but powder blue. In a recent video Cory showed off his powder blue fry and in the vat were quite a mishmash of various types. My neon swordtails are absurdly true to form. They never throw off a sport or deviation. At least not any that survive long enough to be noticed. My tanks are all on "survival of the fittest fry" mode these days so just a fraction of the fry survive, but those that do are all the same coloration. That photo I posted was just a small corner of the tank and in that little photo were sixteen (or so) swordtails, three super reds, at least four red ramshorn snails, and one of my young albino cory cats. That thirty high holds about sixty swordtails, twenty-plus super reds, six small albino cory cats, and God only knows how many ramshorn snails. Absurdly overcrowded, but the fish and plants are happy, the water quality stays good, and I haven't lost a fish in there in weeks. It works for me, so I just let it be. I certainly wouldn't recommend starting a tank with that bioload but this tank has been established for years now and has a generic larger sponge filter and a Cascade 1500 canister filter on it. It works, so I don't argue with it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, Fish Folk said:

I can start to see the eggs eyeing up. Fry development is visible, increasingly as hatch day arrives (Saturday is a good guess)

 

AD5EA09B-6362-46B6-8D0F-66818768CBD0.jpeg

I would say sooner than Saturday. Wednesday or Thursday seems more likely to me. Once you see that level of development they're pretty close to coming out. They won't do much at first but in a few days they'll start moving around more.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/17/2021 at 11:44 AM, BriannesFishFam said:

Just debating on what kinds of BN plecos I want to breed first. 

Albino Shortfin

Super reds

Calico.

 

I think in the future I might try zebras, or leopard frogs. We have albino longfin, choc shortfin and longfin right now in their breeding tanks.

Very cool! I like to breed . . . whatever will 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...