Algae Wafer Attraction

The Goatee

Curious what it is about algae wafers that attracts almost all my fish? I drop one in a couple of times a week for bottom dwellers. But tetras, platies, etc. flock to it as fast as corydoras, snails, shrimp, etc. The only fish that doesn’t are some rasboras. Some Von Rios have literally tried to pick it up and swim away. I definitely don’t underfeed regular floating foods. Just curious why the fish seem to go crazy for these?

Check the ingredients list- the first 1-3 ingredients on most "algae" wafers is almost always fish protein of some sort and not vegetable matter.  They're designed for omnivorous bottom feeders (e.g. catfish) that need a high level of protein in their diet.  I see people often state that their Nerite snails won't touch these things and the ratio of protein to actual algae is why.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 3

@sudofish mine too!  Especially my African cichlids. You’d think I was chumming sharks!

I have snails in all three tanks and use algae wafers. I have seen the snails in the betta tank devour them... it was actually quite interesting to watch. Beyond that, I think my fish eat them up before the snails even know they exist.  

Edited by LaurieinIA