Hole in the head started AFTER using ParaCleanse?!

BaRanchik

I literally just finished the first round of treatment with ParaCleanse, because that dish was hitting against surfaces when I just got her.

This morning I wake up and it looks like she got the disease, and now I'm both confused and wondering what I should do. Do I still wait 2 weeks before I treat with ParaCleanse again, or do I treat again immediately?

Water parameters:

pH: 7-7.2
Ammonia, Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 10
Temp: 25C (78F)

The last few days she was eating less pellets than I usually give her, but she is still eating the same amount of flakes I feed her without losing interest.

I don't have a hospital tank, so I'd much rather treat with things that won't destroy my plants and shrimps.

What should I do?

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-06 at 12.03.18.jpeg

Edited by BaRanchik

I’d recommend reading over this article.

Im not persuaded that all cases of head-pitting are caused by Hexamita. I’ve seen head pitting on my Electric Blue Acaras before, more associated with stress than parasites. Ensure clean water, don’t overfeed, and look out for white, stringy feces. 

Edited by Fish Folk

13 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Im not persuaded that all cases of head-pitting are caused by Hexamita. I’ve seen head pitting on my Electric Blue Acaras before, more associated with stress than parasites. Ensure clean water, don’t overfeed, and look out for white, stringy feces. 

Thanks for your input.

I don't overfeed, poop seems normal (pellet-like), and the water seems to be fine going by parameters but I'll do a 25% water change anyway. So would you recommend I just do the water change and wait for a few days? I hope postponing another course of treatment won't kill that fish, that's why I'm so worried about this.

Seems like if parasites are to blame, that the metronidazole in Fritz ParaCleanse is the key (Flagyl in over-the-counter treatments for people).

If she’s wild, something is stressful to her. If you dose CO2, cut that back.

I’d water change. See if she’ll eat some live food. Watch her closely for any other signs. Perform a water change. We use Fritz Complete to treat water when we change. Dim lights some.

• Like 1

Do you keep German Blue Rams? I love those little fish! I have been so sad because I tried even buying some from Aquabid, and they still are dropping one by one. Do you have any suggestions on keeping them healthy? I am literally about ready to give up!  I posted last week the issue I am experiencing with them. My water's perfect, pH of 6.8, 5ppm nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, temperature around 81 to 82. Weekly water change at minimum. Low KH & G H 30 or less. 

On 6/6/2021 at 1:17 PM, Fish Folk said:

On 6/7/2021 at 4:51 AM, Acara Mom said:

Comment on the Acaras... they get little bumps on the head or scrapes and they heal up really fast. It's not the same as hole in the head. I've had them for a few years. Actual HITH is not easy to deal with. 

You were right, she healed within two days without any medication, so I suppose it actually was due to stress. The weird thing is that I changed nothing before, and I changed nothing since.

Edited by BaRanchik
  • Like 1

I have noticed that my Acaras just bump their heads on stuff sometimes. I mostly noticed they get scuffs on their head when I put a divider in the tank and they’re trying to squeeze through things. They always healed up really fast. So I just always thought that it was from scuffing around!
🙂

• Like 1